ACA500plus A500 rev 6a 1MB chipram

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

First I want to say that the ACA500plus is a great product!

Just got back into my Amigas some months ago and loving it. Being away from it almost 30 years makes you forget and the ACA500plus makes it so easy to get back into.

But I do have a problem and wondering if someone knows what might be wrong.

I remembered that I back in the day thought that the all the different memory types in the Amiga was confusing(not as much as a PC though haha) :) So I might be missing something obvious here.

Well here we go.

First some info about my setup:

- I have a ACA500plus that I use with my Amiga 500 rev 6A.

- I use the Amiga 500 original PSU(I use the same one with my A600 and A1200 both with accelerators without issue)

- I also have a M501-s trapdoor expansion that has 512kb and RTC https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1033

- My 6A It has a Agnus 8372A and from what I've managed to google it should be able to address 1MB chipram.

The Problem:

When I boot into Workbench 3.2.1 it seems to only seems to show 512Kb chip ram.

In the ACA500plus menu at boot, if I press F10 and go into expert menu, the option "1M Chip RAM expansion" states "unavailable".

Toggling the RTC setting to trapdoor gives me the correct time, so that leads me to "think" that at least the m501-s works(partly?).

Am I correct that with the above I should be able to get 1MB chipram without having to solder any jumpers on the Amiga?

If so what could be the problem, is the m501-s broken, someway to try/verify that?

• OS 3.2.1 - there is a ShowConfig tool. You can see the memory ranges the OS knows about.

See if there is a 512K Fast memory space showing at $00C0.0000 - that is where the trapdoor memory appears if the 1M ChipRAM modification has not been done. When done, it extends the 512K ChipRAM from $0000.0000-007F.FFFF to $0000.0000-00FF.FFFF. (The '.' is added here for readability, and won't be in the actual output).

The modification is a pad gets opened, and another 3-pin position moves to the 'other position'. Online information has the detail. Best done by someone with some experience in soldering.

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)

• Hi!

thanks!
    I solved it.

The problem was that I had removed the on/off switch from the expansion card when moving it to my new/working A500, and didn’t put the switch back.

didn’t know that removing the switch puts it in “off” position by default. So added a small wire between the two pads labeled on on the expansion card and now it works :)

Didn’t have to do any mods to my a500 montherboard :)

• The motherboard was likely already modified to support 1MB ChipRAM setting.

Some 3rd party trap door expansions have that jumper/switch for compatibility with some games which didn't follow the rules, and may expect a different memory footprint.

Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93, GuruROM Maker/Supporter (as personal time allows)

• The motherboard was likely already modified to support 1MB ChipRAM setting.

No - the ACA500plus can turn the internal trapdoor expansion into chipram without any modifications. Thanks for helping out here, but everything you've written would only apply to a computer that does not have the ACA500plus. This will let you software-switch the trapdoor expansion to chip ram and still provide $00c0.0000 memory that has cycle-exact speed at 7MHz CPU speed.

You may tend to say "that's impossible without hardware modifications" - and you're almost right. The trick is to make real-time alterations to the bus signals while the access is in progress. I'm particularly proud of that, and thought that it would have been common knowledge after almost ten years of the feature being available on my A500 cards (ACA500 was the first to introduce that feature).

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.