questions regarding ACA1234

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • i purchased an amiga 1200 with a aca1221lc aolready installed in the trap door which works fine, however i would like to upgrade to the ACA1234 clocked at 50mhz.

i'm no amiga expert and only in recent years moved from using winuae to real amiga systems so the ACA1234 shop page info kinda confused me.

firstly the things you will need section - motherboard patches as described by Commodore: A1200 capacitors E123C and E125C may need to be removed.

how do i know if i need to do this on my a1200 before buying the ACA1234?

secondly this section - if you find that your CPU can accept a certain level of overclocking, you can purchase a permanent overclocking license.

does this mean some amiga 1200's will not work properly with the ACA1234 clock speed set to 50mhz? in that case is it better to buy the 25mhz version and perform test at higher mhz values and purchase the overclock license if all does well?

thirdly - is the control software for the ACA1234 available as a download or is is built into the ACA1234 itself? i'm hoping the software does not arrive as a floppy as ihave an internal gotek which was already installed before i purchased the amiga 1200 and no spare floppy drive.

thanks.

• how do i know if i need to do this on my a1200 before buying the ACA1234?

You already know: The ACA1221lc works, so the ACA1234 will also work. We've been working over the past years to compensate for wrong assembly on the A1200-board side and still can't say for sure if all the fixes we've done on our side have had the desired effect of not requiring removal of these caps. We do have significantly less support cases because of that, so the effect is already huge, but with the magnitude of different mainboard versions out there, we can't say for sure. See the passage as the "cover my a**"-part :-)

secondly this section - if you find that your CPU can accept a certain level of overclocking, you can purchase a permanent overclocking license.

does this mean some amiga 1200's will not work properly with the ACA1234 clock speed set to 50mhz?

Thanks for the hint - that was the same passage for all versions of the ACA1234, and I didn't notice for over a year that it doesn't apply to the 50MHz version. If you purchase the 50MHz card, it will be shipped with a genuine 50MHz processor (not overclocked) and it's guaranteed to run at 50MHz, of course. I have taken the overclocking passage out of the 50MHz card's description.

thirdly - is the control software for the ACA1234 available as a download or is is built into the ACA1234 itself?

It is built into the ACA1234. A virtual floppy disk is shown on workbench when you boot, and you can select with a setting in the software itself if it shall be mounted by default if you want to "clean up" your desktop. The ACA1234 has been developed with the exact case like yours in mind: Don't require the user to already have a file transfer method, but provide the means to install one with the product:

- easiest way is to use a PCMCIA CF-card reader (available in our shop)

- more convenient data transfer is network, and our AmiTCP network install disk is also part of the ACA1234 package. This allows you to use a PCMCIA networking card and mount remote drives, or get access to the iComp drive, which handles like yet another (read-only) harddrive on workbench: Double-click the drive icon and have all iComp software on your WB or your favourite file browser.

• thanks for the reply.

all your info pretty much covers everything.

i will order the card very soon along with a PCMCIA CF-card reader. i take it that both the ACA1234 and PCMCIA CF-card reader would work well with sd to cfcard adaptors?

i was planning on using those adaptors with 32gb sandisk sd cards that i have too many of.

• i take it that both the ACA1234 and PCMCIA CF-card reader would work well with sd to cfcard adaptors?

You'll have to talk to the vendor of the SD-to-CF-card adapter about that. I can't guarantee compatibility with a 3rd party product. It's a CF card reader, not an SD-card reader :-)

• that is understandable. i will try with a sd to cf adapter and if it does not work then i will pick up some compatible cf cards instead.

thanks again for info. i just ordered the aca1234-50 and PCMCIA CF- card reader.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.