1MB ROM with acatool ROMFILE: "This is not a ROM file"

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello

I created a 1MB rom file via Remus 1.81 and try it to upload to aca1234 and aca1221lc accelerators. However the acatool response is "This is not a ROM file". My question is if the 1MB rom files are supported with mentioned accelerators at all or do I have ("is it safe") to use FORCE option?

Many thanks,

Jaroslav P.

• To my knowledge, we don't even have a test case for 1MByte ROM files. Timm ?

The "force" option is always safe to use, as the worst thing that can happen is that you need to power-cycle the machine.

• 1mb ROM files are supported theoretically, there are several provisions in the soft- and hardware. So this is a bug.

Indeed we had no test case so far. If you can provide one or more 1mb ROM files to test against, we can perhaps work on the issue.

• Great! I can provide them, however I'm out of my desktop so I will share them when I'm back at Friday. Shall I send them by email or can I attach them here? I'm asking to avoid legal issues, they are based on AmigaOS 3.2.1.

• We do own a copy (or more :-)) of OS3.2, so sending these files for testing purposes is no problem. After all, Hyperion is part of the Amiga community - nothing to fear here. Just reply to any of the eMails that the shop system has sent you, it'll end up in my inbox.

• Hello

I have new info. Finally I was capable to map 1MB ROM file by acatool. Looks like to rom merge tools are not working as I expect.

The 1MB ROM file cannot be used by acatool when I concatenate the standard 512k ROM ($f8000) and extended ROM ($e0000) files by Remus/Tools/MergeROM. When I use https://amitools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools/romtool.html by

Code
    1. romtool combine -o 47.102.1mb.rom 47.102.ext.rom 47.102.std.rom

it works however ... I observe new issue.

I do these cases:

/case 1/map ROMFILE from console == OK

> acatool ROMFILE=SYS:47.102.1mb.rom

it requested reboot. After reboot it works.

/case 2/ map ROMFILE from S:startup-sequence == NOT-OK

the system is continuously rebooting each time the acatool ROMFILE ... line is executed. It looks like it do not recognize the ROM is already loaded.

I will send the ROM file(s) by email.

Best,

Jaroslav P.

• Version 3.4 of acatool is available, which should support 1mb ROM files for all cards using the ROMFILE option: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACAtool#Download

In case of the ACA1234, if you want to use 1mb ROM files from the card's flash memory, you also need to update the firmware to version 230124: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1234#Firmware_updates

I recommend to perform the firmware upgrade, because it includes an update to acatool 3.4 on the ACA1234Install volume. The 1mb ROM file I used for testing compresses nicely using the accompanying 'lzocompress' tool. So if you compress the ROM before saving it to the card's flash memory, you save a lot of startup time - and also one valuable ROM slot.

• Hello

I used the acatool 3.4 and updated firmware. The amiga 1200 boots and works with the 1MB rom file (using the ROMFILE parameter) for ACA1211/ACA1221lc and flashing it into ACA1234 as well works. Nice :).

What doesn't works is case when acatool just map the computer's inbuilt 1MB ROM (EPROM) into the ACA1221lc (no romfile).

Best

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.