When inserted in C64, what is done in FPGA vs C64HW

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

There is a discussion over at FB as to what happens when the TC is inserted in the C64. There is a misconception about the

TC being just a FPGA-machine even when inserted in the C64 and that it just uses the C64 keyboard and IO ports but the rest is

happening in the FPGA.

So -- I want to make sure I get a fact-based reply from you guys to make sure that the users are 100% up to date what is done in FPGA

and what is left done in the C64 when used in cartridge-mode with a C64.

Q: When the TC is inserted in the C64 and you use the VGA out, what remaining hardware in the C64 is used (vic, sid, memory etc.) ?

Some say that the TC is just a Vampire for the C64 and that everything happens in the TC even when plugged in. I would like to clear

up the facts and present a proper reply to the users over at FB so that we make sure all is aware about the facts ASAP before

false facts starts to arise.

I figured it was best to go directly to you guys for the source of this information to make sure it is 100% correct.

//Espen

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.