IBrowse crashing on OS3.1 when workbench is a P96 screen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I have an AMIGA 4000D with 3.1 ROMs, Cyberstorm MKII and a ZZ9000 or Cybervision64. IBrowse is the latest version 2.5 and P96 is 3.3.1. IBrowse opens on the Workbench screen.

Problem is, the IBrowse is crashing/freezing the whole system when launching and the Workbench screen is a P96 screen. So far I can say, this happens when it loads ilbm images. If I remove all ilbm images from the program folder, IBrowse complains about missing images, but starts and can be used.

When Workbench is a native AGA screen, IBrowse starts normal also with the ilbm images in place.

When softkicking OS3.2 an using OS3.2, IBrowse also starts normal with ilbm images in place when Workbench is an P96 screen.

So, something seems wrong with the combination P96+OS3.1+IBrowse2.5. Could P96 be the problem? If I can help to find out more, please let me know.

And if somebody else has this configuration at hand it would be great to know it it works for others or as well not. Thank you.

• No, not two GFX cards in the system at the same time. I had the Cybervision64 installed and the problem happened. Now I have changed to a ZZ9000 an still can reproduce the issue. So it could be something with P96.

• I found an older 2.4 version of IBrowse, but same issue.

Then I installed the P96 2.0 from Aminet and noticed, this comes with an updated picture.datatype v43. I replaced the original V40 picture.datatype with it and then IBrowse also starts on a P96 Workbench screen. P96 V3 does not include a picture.datatype update?!? Or did I miss something?

• I'll have to check what the legal status of that picture datatype is. I have a strong feeling that iComp does not own it, so we'll have to check if any of our contracts with Hyperion covers the file, but chances are low.

• I really have no idea what the source and legal status of that picture datatype in the Aminet P96 archive is - it is NOT mentioned in my contract for P96, so I definitely do not own it.

Further, the contracts with Hyperion don't really help, as the picture datatype of OS3.1 is plain broken - for example, it does not know anything about chunky graphics, which it should for RTG.

So the best thing I can do is to point you to OS3.1.4 or OS3.2, which both have good picture datatypes, and the latter is even available in our shop. We ship worldwide :-)

• Hi Jens, thanks for checking. I also have OS3.2 already, but for some testing purpose would like to keep a plain OS3.1.

If possible, at least the installer and/or documentation could contain a note when installing on OS3.1 to get the picture.datatype from the P96 2.0 in Aminet to avoid trouble.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.