ACA500plus wont install to cf and cant update firmware by cf

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I just got a amiga 500 for this card and I got everything set up and ready to go, cf card in fat32 and plugged in to boot but when I install it will go to unpack rom, etc but crashes or shuts off the upgrade and leaves me on the 3.1 floppy load screen with no indication of continuing. I decided to try and update the ACA500 with the CF card but when I go to update its firmware it hangs if i have it plugged in the aux port on a black screen. If I unplug the cf card and then go to flash it all works and wants me to plug in the card but a second or two after I plug it in the whole application hangs again with no error. I'm so confused by this do I need a new cf card? this current card is just 4 GB I'm willing to buy a new one that's recommended if that would help but this whole thing is rather infuriating. Thank you in advance for trying to help out

• That card was shipped on December 5th, so it has passed our updated QC procedure for hot-plug/remove the AUX card. No action to be taken on the hardware side.

Please describe the exact setup, including monitor solution and power supply. There have been cases where a ground loop was the root cause, and the erratic behaviour you're describing may be just that.

• Hello so sorry for the delayed response but I'm using a new PSU from this site; https://www.keelog.com/amiga-500-psu-modern-black-us-replacement-amiga-500-power-supply-us-plug/ my monitor setup is just composite onto my LG monitor making it black a white since I'm waiting on rgb to VGA stuff. I can't think of any other things except its on a power strip but everything else works fine on the same strip

• A few years ago I bought a 3rd party 'modern' made meanwell based PSU from one of the webshops that sells Amiga stuff. At the time I didn't know about all this stuff and that they were not really suitable for Amiga use. It came in a rather nice looking plastic case and had proper cables that looked nice enough.

Anyway, the issue was not that I could see any stability problems related to low +5v or ripple (which I'm sure it had) the short time I was using it. Suddenly I started hearing a sparkling sound. It got worse and worse the longer I left the PSU on. Suddenly the sparkling sound became very loud and I smelled a horrible burnt smell. I instantly turned off the PSU. Turned out it was the on/off switch connected at the 230 Volt side that was bad. It smelled really bad and had I left the PSU on unattended this could easily have been a fire hazard. It was this kind of a gunpowder smell. So the problem was the on/off switch itself, not the solder connection of the wires. Probably a cheap China made on/off switch.

So be careful with these 'modern' Amiga PSUs. In addition to what Jens has said about high ripple and stuff, they can also be a fire hazard.

These days I only use original Amiga PSUs which I have recapped. Never seen any problems with on/off switch on original ones. So either recap original ones or go for the one iComp is selling (CA-PSU). Icomp is a reputable company that has proper quality control. Many of these 'modern' ones are made like hobbyist projects, then sold via resellers and could not only ruin your Amiga but can also actually be a fire hazard.

• well, ill try to get a new one I use that one since some people said it was alright for their commodore 64s and stuff I'm a little short of money but will try to get a refund and get a new power supply not sure what kind of PSU but I'll try.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.