[Unofficial MK3 compatibility thread] In search of a 1920x1080 VSYNC compatible monitor !

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi everyone :-)

I'm a happy user of an Indivision AGA MK3 which works perfectly on my A1200.

However, I still have to find a monitor that would enable me to use a VSYNCed non double-buffered mode in the monitor native resolution. Typically, a pretty small 1920*1080 (max 22 inches).

ATM I use a double-buffered 1920x1080 resolution which looks great : no tearing & perfectly smooth. But I can feel a slight delay due to the double buffering. (the WB mouse feels slightly laggy and I can feel it in very fast games like Tinuys.

(yes, I can achieve a VSYNCed autoresolution mode but it induces interpolation)

So far (is there a way to make the first post constantly editable ?) :

- LG 223K430H(-B), 22" IPS 1920x1080 5 ms GtG monitor : VSYNC 1080p : black screen.

- ASUS VZ229HE : 21.5" IPS 1920x1080 5 ms GtG monitor : VSYNC 1080p : black screen.

Thank you so much for your help :) There is obviously no hurry at all and I'll try a new model once in a while in the 2nd hand market :)

• mahen

Changed the title of the thread from “[Unofficial MK3 compatibility thread] In search a 1920x1080 VSYNCed compatible monitor !” to “[Unofficial MK3 compatibility thread] In search of a 1920x1080 VSYNC compatible monitor !”.
  • Hi ! :-) Bumping my own thread ! No one with a "VSync enabled - double buffer disabled" compatible monitor ?

I might buy some random used monitors next month, just in case ! Cannot right now :)

• Chances might be increasing if you're looking for devices with a *DMI port - so including what is called TVs nowadays.

The good thing about *DMI is that according to specifications 50Hz must be supported. That doesn't automatically mean that VSync is going to work. I might have been lucky, but for testing purposes I acquired the cheapest "TV" I could find, and it instantly gave me better 50Hz/VSync results than any declared "PC monitor" with VGA/DVI/DIsplayPort connectors.

• Hi Timm, thanks so much for your reply.

Please don't hesitate to post screen references even if that's not 100% sure the particular unit I get will be compatible :)

Did you actually ever find a compatible PC HDMI screen ? Apart from an old BENQ that was mentioned in another thread.

Hmm... That would be absolutely amazing if Freesync could be supported as it would probably fix the issue instantly for almost everyone... But that would probably be tons of work !

Thanks again so much for the Indivision MK3. I use it *everyday* :)

• I have tried numerous LCD 1920x1080 monitors and have never achieved a vsync 1080 resolution that fully functions. On one of the monitors, the vsync works, but the screen is jittery for some reason. I have tried both VGA and HDMI connections.

However, the double buffering works very good with a minor stutter after a certain amount of frames. This is best to observe with scrolling text such as with the Fairlight cracktro for War Zone (Core).

• @shan : OK so I guess it's about time I stopped chasing the unicorn...

Are there some brands you didn't try ? I tried some MSI, Iiyama, Samsung, ASUS, LG, . Did you try CoolerMaster, BenQ, AOC, Gigabyte ? With which one did you get the best overall experience ? (in terms of picture quality, less blurriness, etc.)

My last hope would be a FreeSync support as all screens support it nowadays :-) (MiSTer FPGA does too ;-)

I really cannot stand the "double buffering mode" as it makes the mouse movements significantly laggy.

Last attempt was :

Samsung 24" LED - Odyssey G3 S24AG320NU

-> 50 Hz OK

-> VSYNCed 1080p : FAIL

-> Smooth BUT significant ghosting due to VA clearly visible some games

-> Picture quality : super deep blacks <3

-> 24" : to my taste, pixels look too big :-) as I am close to the screen (arcade cabinet or desk)

CONCLUSION : not the worst (I had some with huge distortions, not the best !)

Cheeeeers ! :)

• Why does it have to be 1080p (16:9) anyway? I found that 4:3 monitors or 5:4 monitors are much better-suited, and more often than not support 50Hz and V-Sync, where some of them only support it on VGA, but not on DVI (those monitors hardly have HDMI input).

Then again, if you don't like double buffering, you can always use the "auto resolution" feature, which runs the output stage completely in-sync with the Amiga (whole-number-pixel-multiplication). Any FreeSync compatible monitor should be able to display that.

Jens

• A 5:4 monitor is the way to go if you don’t have a 1084 monitor. Unfortunately, I have realized that there is no replacement for the 1084. If emulation eventually gets there, there’s no point for real hardware anymore if you have to sacrifice the display; just my opinion of where I am at on the matter.

Scaler colors are off a bit and not as vibrant. This isn’t immediately evident until you compare side by side.

I hope that IC prioritizes trying to match 1084 color palette, even if it’s not 💯% perfect, if there is an AGA MK4, ECSV4.

• modern 5:4 17 inch LED screens are the way to go. Oh, and using VGA instead of digital, because with VGA you get access to alot more settings on the monitor. Flickering CRTs belongs to the past and is not worth it in my opinion.

• For C64 i still prefer my 1701 over any other solution i have seen, there is simply no match for the vibrant colors it produces (but as said, HDR may change this in the future)

• Ignorance is bliss of course. I was so happy with the scaler until I saw a 1084 on EBay located near me so it didn’t have to be shipped. I was surprised by the difference when I set up both an LCD with the scaler and a 1084 over standard RGB. Maybe it’s just nostalgia.

The scaler does a great job otherwise and if you don’t have access to a 1084, you will never notice the difference. But darn is that screen tiny, less than 14 inches!

• The problem are the different color spaces of RGB and YUV - they dont overlap 100% (HDR fixes this for the most part)

PS: Just to make that clear and to avoid any misunderstandings: "HDR" is not something we can support in the near future, for various technical and economical reasons.