USB for X-Surf-100

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I just got mine, and I did not realize this board needs a USB module attached to board to make usb ports work.

Can anyone tell me where such 48pin module can be purchased to make the USB work on this?

I don't need it for networking, sole purpose was for the USB ports..

Thank you.

• The RapidRoad USB controller can't be made any more, because the host controller chip is not made any more. Looks like you need to make use of your right of revocation (and next time, please read the product description).

Jens

• All good. I'm enjoying browsing internet with iBrowse.

I have no problem setup wtih AmiTCP on 3.2 by modifying the db/interfaces to point to x-surf-100.device unit0

however, I have not had any luck on 3.9 with either Genesis or AmiTCP.

Both give same error where can't open DEVS:networks/x-surf-100.device unit0 (checked file is there)

Is there a different process or something special that needs to be done in 3.9?

Thanks

Rony

• TBH, I consider 3.9 a dead forkof the OS. However, since it's based on 3.1, there *should* be no difference. The only thing I'd check is that only one stack is installed and started: Genesis *or* AmiTCP, but not both in the same installation.

Jens

• I finally got it to work on clean 3.9 install.

That being said, I'm prefer 3.2 so i'm going back.

Trying to figure out where the bottleneck is for performance. I'm getting dial up speeds when browsing, the home page for ibrowse takes forever to load!

Is it in the device? AmiTCP? EasyNet?

I'm not expecting super fast, but compared to videos I see on youtube, I'm at the real low end.

• iBrowse performance mostly depends on the CPU and RAM speed that you have in your A2000, not so much on the stack or networking card. The X-Surf-100 and our AmiTCP installer package already do the maximum possibly by using a "side entrance" into AmiTCP to reduce the number ot times that data actually needs to be touched, so I recommend to use our AmiTCP install disk over any other stack solution.

For halfway decent surfing speed on an Amiga, you should have a 68030/50MHz or 68040/68060 CPU.

Jens

• Thanks for reply!

I have a 4000/040 not 2000 so CPU is decent.

I could not get your AmiTCP to work which is why I turned to EasyNet and that actually got me online right away.

I will try again, as the current method is probably close to half dial up speed if i'm lucky.. Lightwave renders image faster than browser can load one! Easily 20 seconds to load the IBrowse home page!

Hopefull I can get yours going on my 4000 this time around.

• I have a 4000/040

If it's the original 3640, then it's not exactly fast. Only accelerators with local fastmem can give you good performance. Still, the experience you're describing indicates some "handbreak" that needs to be released.

I could not get your AmiTCP to work

With the little interaction our automatic installer requires, that's hard to achieve. Please try again and open a support case if it fails. If you're a recent customer of the X-Surf-100, then the AmiTCP install disk is part of the package, just go to your order history and download the file.

Jens

• I tried but I can't login in to the store, only forum.

when i try to reset password I get message that can't find account (using same email and username here in forum)

when i try to create account it says duplicate user name and email. Not sure how to get where I need for this download.

is the shop a different account than forum?

• is the shop a different account than forum?

Yes, shop and forum are separated. Unfortunately, the shop requires you to remember your username. I do not see a shop member using the same eMail address as the one you've used for the forum, so you should be able to just make a new account.

Jens

• Ah - newly created user account. Now associate the guest order with the new account: Go to "guest orders", where all orders shipped to the address of your new user account are shown. If you have the order ID, you can associate the order with your user account, and then you should be able to download the archive from your order history.

Jens

• Is there a way to use the usb ports on the x-surf with a different solution? could an adapter be made so those ports work with, say a deneb or equivalent?

• Yes, the ports have all non-GND signals directly wired to the local connector. Here's the relevant signals - connector is a 2mm-spacing pin header, and although it's a 48-pin male header, I recommend to use a 52-pin female header, so it can't be connected in a shifted manner.

If you'll use a 48-pin IDC cable, you will of course need to use the exact 48-pin figure.

Jens