Amiga 1200 - 2,5" Buffered IDE interface experience

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I actually never used buffered IDE interface on Amiga 1200 and never had any errors but I got in to hype to get one especially to try IDE speeder with ACA card (I have two but never tried speeder).

I wanted to buy Individual one but problems is that I have fully shielded Amiga 1200 and it can not install without serious problem and I did next thing.

I bought 2,5" Buffered IDE interface Type A from Amiga store thinking to have better and more reliable connection to CF drive but it is a nightmare.
    I use Amiga 1200 1D1 3.14 with PA-CF18H CF interface and SunDisk CF card. I actually find this PA-CF18H interface one of better ones I had. It works with multiple CF cards I have and never had problems.
    Now problems I have when I connect new buffered IDE interface in between:
    - it detects CF card properly
    - it auto partitions two partitions by default...
    ...but that is it - I can not change anymore and I can not access this two partitions to format or anything else. Everytime Amiga tries to access them it hangups, same happens when I try to repartition the drive and save changes to disk - it hangups. I tried to clean the CF card again on PC and back but same result, also different cable... I simply can not work with IDE buffered interface that is advertised as giving more reliable connection. I actually find that most of my CF cards (SunDisk larger ones and Transcend do not even work on detection with IDE buffered).

Anyway will that problem be solved with Individual buffered IDE (if I remove the upper shield) or am I missing something on buffered interfaces and is actual buffered IDE useless for my setup using only one CF card ? NOTE: I tested this on Individual PSU(my best one to have reliable setup) to exclude any power problems.

• You're mixing up "buffered" and "cable" a few times in this description. I assume that for your existing interfaces, you always mean "unbuffered", as the PA-CF18h product leads me to an unbuffered interface on a cable.

That said, I can't imagine how you are able to boot from a CF card and use the two partitions, but HDToolbox somehow fails to access the RDB. So no, I don't think that our buffered CF card interface will solve this problem; it's most likely software-related. Try to boot from the "install" disk of your WB disk set and use HDToolbox from there.

• Hello Jens,

thank you for response. Actually I over complicated the post.

Actually my PA-CF18h CF interface works without problems on its own. Problem arose when I wanted to test IDE speeder on ACA cards and for that sake I wanted to get buffered interface to go between IDE connector and my PA-CF18h just in case. I looked at yours but I would have to remove the upper shield on Amiga. Therefore I bought buffered one designed by Matthias Münch and connected it between IDE and my PA-CF18h. This combination does not work for me, at least not on default and I am missing something. If I use same default procedure of creating partitions with hdtoolbox my system hangs. It finds CF fine and actually creates default two SHD0 and SHD1 partitions but nothing more. Actually hangs on every time accessing this partitions or tryin to change them.

Bottom line is that I thought by adding buffered interface will be better for data and not worse and main question is if I am missing something here. If I buy your interface will it work properly and can I use normal default procedure when preparing the drive with default FFS file system or do you use completely different file system with buffered interfaces ?

• Therefore I bought buffered one designed by Matthias Münch

No comment.

If I buy your interface will it work properly and can I use normal default procedure when preparing the drive with default FFS file system or do you use completely different file system with buffered interfaces ?

The buffered interface (at least ours) is transparent to the software. If your installation procedure works without IDE speeder and with your unbuffered interface, it will also work with our buffered CF card interface.

• No comment.

The buffered interface (at least ours) is transparent to the software. If your installation procedure works without IDE speeder and with your unbuffered interface, it will also work with our buffered CF card interface.

Hello Jens, thank you for answer and this is actually I wanted to know. I am not expert and do not understand this passive buffer technology and how it helps data transfer without tandem with software drivers. Anyway good to know that it was logical to expect it to work under same conditions and settings as without it. One last question on this buffered interface from you. Does revisions(also timing fix or not) of Amiga boards or revisions of gayle chip affect proper function of buffered interface or is this irrelevant ? Before I buy and test by myself.

Do you plan to make buffered all in one with CF interface for "legacy" fitted amigas that will use space where initial 2.5 disks were (cradle) ? I think it would sell since some people only look to fit CF instead of old drives and usual CF interfaces today are bad.

• Does revisions(also timing fix or not) of Amiga boards or revisions of gayle chip affect proper function of buffered interface or is this irrelevant ?

Our buffered interface will work in any A1200, no matter the Gayle revision. That's because the very old Gayle revisions have been patched with a GAL - even if that's present, our interface will work.

Do you plan to make buffered all in one with CF interface for "legacy" fitted amigas that will use space where initial 2.5 disks were (cradle) ?

Why would I? Everyone is happy to get the heat-producing loud mechanical harddrive out of the computer. I don't want to encourage anyone to put it back in. Instead, I've made the buffered CF adapter to show that CF cards can meet and exceed every expectation that anyone would have from a mechanical harddrive.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.