Indivision ECS V3 versus native BenQ BL702A LCD Monitor

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I purchased an Indivision ECS V3 awhile back not realizing that I would have to remove the original Denise chip in my Amiga 500.

I am currently using an Amiga RGB to VGA adaptor for native output to a BenQ BL702A LCD. This monitor is 15khz capable, but I find it impossible to set the pixel clock sufficiently for clear text. Some of the text looks good while other portions are not 100%. But at least I can be sure that the output is 50hz for PAL and 60hz for NTSC.

Will the ECS V3 provide a superior picture in the correct aspect ratio at the correct speed for PAL and NTSC? I know that the documentation states that the sockets on the MB are weak so I don’t want to pull the Denise chip and then have to reinstall it if I am not pleased with the result.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• Here you go. 1:1 profile that works perfect for BenQ BL702A.

and yes, with this 1:1 profile it will provide a superior picture VS using your BenQ BL702A plugged directly to RGB. With regards to fear of ruining socket with the round pins from the ECS V3 round pin (precision) socket. Stick an extra round pin socket in the original socket and leave it there. This way you can swap back to original Denise and have good contact.

• Thanks turrican9, I installed the ECS V3, bent some pins removing the Denise chip, and used your profiles. Much better picture than native and the scan lines really look good as well.

I have a NOS 15- inch VGA monitor on its way that I am going to try. Now I just need a new A500 case to properly mount the VGA connector to the case.

Thanks to IC for making this wonderful product as well!

• Surprisingly, I didn’t actually load your profile. I thought your configs came up when I copied the info file into the directory. I used some disabled default Pre configs and the results were really good.

I just loaded your profiles and I must admit that you pretty much nailed the look of a 1084, minus the curvature of course. Thanks!

• Surprisingly, I didn’t actually load your profile. I thought your configs came up when I copied the info file into the directory. I used some disabled default Pre configs and the results were really good.

I just loaded your profiles and I must admit that you pretty much nailed the look of a 1084, minus the curvature of course. Thanks!

Yes, you need to load the profile from the menu.

My goal was to replicate the Image 1:1. So you should get the same picture as when you plug your BenQ BL702A directly to RGB (Except of course 31KHz instead of 15KHz). By that I mean sizewise, same overscan and of course Vsync for smooth scrolling. And of course, not the same when it comes to picture quality, ECSV3 picture is far superior. So your monitor should switch to 720x576 for PAL. And 640x480 for NTSC.

Enjoy!

• Hi Turrican,

Do you have profiles for the MK3? I’m working on upgrading my A1200 now and finally installed the MK3 I purchased when it first came out. I had a perfect picture with the MK2 I had installed. I think I may have been using your profiles if you posted them on EAB. I’m struggling with the MK3 at the moment. I have a socketed U7 chip so I can’t use live config. Thanks!

• Hi Turrican,

Do you have profiles for the MK3? I’m working on upgrading my A1200 now and finally installed the MK3 I purchased when it first came out. I had a perfect picture with the MK2 I had installed. I think I may have been using your profiles if you posted them on EAB. I’m struggling with the MK3 at the moment. I have a socketed U7 chip so I can’t use live config. Thanks!

Sorry, I do not own the MK3 yet. But I think you can still open the ECS V3 config tool and have a look at the profile settings without actually having the ECS V3 installed. So you could just note the settings and try similar settings on the MK3.

• Hi Turrican9,

I have become more familiar with the MK3 tool and understand it now. On a 19-inch Viewsonic LCD (5:4), I have my PAL Low/Hi Res display set to 640x512, which is exactly double the original resolution. Why would I want the other resolution you recommend?

One issue I have is that I can’t set Vsync within a VGA mode. Whenever I try, I get a flickering screen. I notice a little stuttering when text scrolls without it. Wish I could fix it somehow. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Hi Turrican9,

I have become more familiar with the MK3 tool and understand it now. On a 19-inch Viewsonic LCD (5:4), I have my PAL Low/Hi Res display set to 640x512, which is exactly double the original resolution. Why would I want the other resolution you recommend?

One issue I have is that I can’t set Vsync within a VGA mode. Whenever I try, I get a flickering screen. I notice a little stuttering when text scrolls without it. Wish I could fix it somehow. Any ideas? Thanks!

My profile is specifically finetuned for BenQ BL702A and BL912 monitors. 720x576@50Hz will show the full PAL overscan. My profile replicates the 1:1 aspect ratio/overscan as if I plug my BenQs directly to 15KHz RGB. Only scandoubled via VGA and far superior picture quality VS RGB of course.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.