[SOLVED] MK3/A1200 : mode needed to be enabled to get picture on the HDMI output

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Thanks to all three of you :)

BTW, I've noticed something strange.

I use an LG 22MK430H-B monitor (HDMI, Freesync capable). I did manage to get VSYNC to work in the EDID 1280*720@50Hz mode but no way to get a VSYNCed 1920*1080@50 Hz mode (black screen). I tried tons of combinations of values, clock tweaking etc. Any idea by any chance ?

• Hmm, actually, the Indi configuration tool managed to detect 4 EDID modes but not the 1920x1080@50 Hz and I set it from the values provided by another user - but it may explain why VSYNC doesn't work in this mode.

Can I deduce the F./B. Porch values & sync length values from the xrandr --verbose output from the linux command line tool ?

1920x1080 (0x7d4) 148.500MHz +HSync +VSync

h: width 1920 start 2448 end 2492 total 2640 skew 0 clock 56.25KHz

v: height 1080 start 1084 end 1089 total 1125 clock 50.00Hz

At least I have the pixel clock I can be sure about. I tried to guess the other values but I'm not sure :

Hoz : 1920 / F. porch 528 / Sync length : 44 / B. porch : 148 -> Freq. 56.25 KHz

Vert. : 1080 / F.P : 5 / S.L. : 5 / B. P : 35 -> Freq. 50 Hz

Still a black screen with vsync though

(and setting those values did not improve the scrollings ; I still get tearing in games)

It should work theorically, as VSYNC works in a 720p mode and I get 50 Hz 1080p values from xrandr on Linux...

cheers :)

Edit : trying to figure out what it means with this picture : https://projectf.io/img/posts/…phics/display-timings.png :)

• The formula should be (by comparing the 60 Hz mode EDID'd on the Amiga and on the Linux PC :

Sync = End - Start

B. Porch = Total - End (+1 for the vertical B. porch)

F. P = Start - Width or (Height +1)

When applying those values, I still get a black screen when enabling VSync :(

• VSync works by delaying the output V-Sync until the Amiga itself also generates a VSync. This will only work if the output is ever so slightly faster than the Amiga. If it's only a tad bit slower, the output will be halted for a full frame, and you'll get a black screen. You may therefore have a chance by slightly increasing the output speed of Indivision, for example by reducing one of the Porches by 1 pixel, or one line in case you're trying vertical (I'd try horizontal first).

One thing that's almost always a "sure shot" is the "auto resolution" modes. These will generate an output screen mode based on the Amiga-side output, which is fully pixel-synchronous to the original pixel clock, so it's tearing-free and V-synced by design. However, this will most certainly trigger the built-in scaler of your monitor, which may have other drawbacks. Good monitors can scale nicely, so it's absolutely worth a try.

• Hi Jens !

Thanks so much.

Indeed, I had read about the fact one could try to reach a slightly higher frequency. I tried tons of combinations but still get a black screen.

1) Actually, when I tick "auto resolution" I also get a black screen.

In the presets, there are a couple of 720 lines modes @50 Hz with VSync that do work, but I don't know what the pattern is.

I disabled every thing that looks like potentially post-processing inducing.

Well, that's strange but maybe I'm stuck :) I'll probably go hunting for another screen eventually :) Except if there is something else to try :)

2) unfortunately, I also stumble upon another issue some other users have : some random horizontal lines. One or a couple of them, which come & go. There seems to be more when the pixel clock is higher -- which can explain why Giants didn't see them -- he didn't use and 1080 lines mode like me.

I tried several cables and several PSUs. Giants completely checked the circuitry of the 1200. The only unusual thing if the HxC slim (really close to the Indi !). I'll try to remove it once I have a CF to IDE set up. Also, I have a slightly custom 3.2.1 ROM.

Thanks again & sorry for all those questions !! :)

mahen

• 3) to get as close as possible to the Amiga output frequency, shouldn't I target a vertical freq. slightly higher than 49.92 Hz instead of 50 then ?

Really close to getting something perfect, thanks again team !! :)

• EDIT

After further investigations...

A) my random flickering horizontal lines (see https://fromsmash.com/YianI.EHrU-ct for a video) even occur when everything is removed from my 1200 except the Indivision. With several PSUs and several cables. I'll double check with a SCART monitor. The 2 remaining culprits are my 1200 and the Indi. I guess my 1200 has to be sent back for repair :(

B) after several hours of testing, I still couldn't get VSYNC to work in 1920x1080. But indeed there's a PRE 720 VSYNC'ed mode that works. Although it seems to flicker once in a while (temporary black screen ). I'll try some more then hunt for a compatible monitor (any hint ?)

C) as an alternative, I know it's probably a lot of work, but it could benefit to tons of people : would it be possible to implement Freesync ? I guess it would definitely fix the sync issue in a standardized and reliable way ?

Well, that's it for today :-) Sorry for the signal to noise ratio and thanks again for your quality products and cool support :)

• B) after several hours of testing, I still couldn't get VSYNC to work in 1920x1080. But indeed there's a PRE 720 VSYNC'ed mode that works. Although it seems to flicker once in a while (temporary black screen ). I'll try some more then hunt for a compatible monitor (any hint ?)

The Eizo S1933 monitor (19inch) is the best 5/4 aspect ratio I've ever had for the Amiga, I have 3 of them for my Amiga's.

Jens sold this monitor here also about a year ago, it's not a 15 Khz monitor, so you have to use an Indivision AGA or ECS V3.

I use this with the Indivision AGA for my A12OO's and ECV V3 for the A500, perfect image with HighGFX, perfect 50Hz scrolling and Vsync.

Saw yesterday it's on Ebay, don't know if it's allowed to put a link here to Ebay but here you can find it: https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/334642877415

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• Phil : thanks a lot for the advice ! I saw it has a 14 ms gtg response. is that good enough to prevent blurriness ? typical current monitors are 5 ms or less with strange preprocessing.

I don't have any troubles with blurriness, if you want I can make a video tomorrow from my A1200 with the Eizo with a pinball game, you don't see any blurriness when the ball is moving or use the 'flippers'.

Of course I can share my Indivision AGA MK3 profile too if you want for use with this monitor.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

• Phil: interesting indeed ! So I guess you managed to get the picture integer scaled 4 times with no interpolation ?

I thought a 14 ms "gtg response" could lead to more blurriness because if I'm not mistaken it would mean the transition between 2 20 ms frames would be of 14 ms, (thus only 6 ms of really seing a single frame).

But I'm just guessing :D

I'm gonna check if other people have other recommended screens I could find in my area (France). But importing from Germany is not extremely far indeed.

(EDIT : THANKS a lot Phil :)

• mahen

Here are 2 videos, something went wrong I think when converting and uploading to youtube, the video of the pinball game is the scrolling of the table is really perfect but in the video this is not the case when I watch it now.

The other video of the DOS demo is better.

I post also some pictures from the Indivision software and the profile I use.

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYE0fJkzHA

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7It7GHIfkU

Pictures:

:

Profile:

Eizo S1933 HighGFX-PALHiresLac.lha

• Phil : thank you so much !!!

@ Jens : please ignore my blabbering regarding my inability to enable VSync. I've spent several nice tweaking to no avail. I guess it'll just never work with my screen (although it does with some predefined modes).

However, I'd like to figure out if the random parasite horizontal lignes I can see (do you want another video ?) and which seem unrelated to what I do on the computer and to how long it's been on, are due to my A1200 or to the Indi. (they appear regardless of what I do within a minute)

NEW FINDING : I've figured out why Giants, when he repaired my 1200, didn't witness the issue. It does NOT occur with the built-in modes. Like the PRE Auto + VSync in 1280x1024. No parasite line at all, never.

When bumping to 1920x1080 (so nice for a perfect scaling with no interpolation and perfect scanlines), the parasite lines start to occur.

Even with nothing at all in the machine - I removed everything. I double checked everything (PSU, cables). The only remaining potential culprites are the Indi and the A1200 mobo.

Other interesting finding is : the parasite horizontal lines move with the screen when I drag it with the mouse !

Thanks again !

Once I've sold this "parasites horizontal lines" issues, I'll order another screen compatible with VSYNC :)

Cheers, take care :)

• The Eizo S1933 monitor (19inch) is the best 5/4 aspect ratio I've ever had for the Amiga, I have 3 of them for my Amiga's.

Jens sold this monitor here also about a year ago, it's not a 15 Khz monitor, so you have to use an Indivision AGA or ECS V3.

I use this with the Indivision AGA for my A12OO's and ECV V3 for the A500, perfect image with HighGFX, perfect 50Hz scrolling and Vsync.

Saw yesterday it's on Ebay, don't know if it's allowed to put a link here to Ebay but here you can find it: https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/334642877415

Sold out…

• would it be possible to implement Freesync ?

That's what Autoresolution essentially is. We're just not using the trademarked name.

video showing the kind of horizontal lines I get

Looks like EMI coming into the HDMI cable. This may either happen on the HDMI cable itself, or because there's no shielding on the A1200. Did you follow the instructions and installed both shields, upper shield cut out where required for Indivision?

I've figured out why Giants, when he repaired my 1200, didn't witness the issue. It does NOT occur with the built-in modes. Like the PRE Auto + VSync in 1280x1024. No parasite line at all, never.

I can confirm that such glitches will be less likely if you reduce the output pixel clock, as that also reduces the data rate on the HDMI cable. What your video is showing is clearly a bad data transfer between flicker fixer and monitor.

• Tobias

Changed the title of the thread from “New MK3 AGA : no picture (tested on 2 machines)” to “[SOLVED] MK3/A1200 : mode needed to be enabled to get picture on the HDMI output”.
  • The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.