[SOLVED] MK3/A1200 : mode needed to be enabled to get picture on the HDMI output

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens !

I couldn't get a signal out of my brand new Indi MK3. It's been tested on 2 different A1200 (KS 3.1 and KS 3.2.1), which were completely checked by an Amiga repairer.

Those machines are completely "empty" (no accelerator, no hard disk) and were tested with original PSUs. Several different HDMI screens were tested including an LG one which is reported as fully compatible.

The Rescue Disk was used to no avail.

Any idea ? I live in France and can send the board back easily if needed !

Thank you so much

Mahen

• mahen

Changed the title of the thread from “New MK3 : no picture (tested on 2 machines)” to “New MK3 AGA : no picture (tested on 2 machines)”.
  • Hi !

This machine it's on my home for information.

It's so a A1200 rev 1D4 with no modification/hack

Work good with Kickstart 3.2 custom installed.

Machine work good with or without floppy disk (without boot on kickstart and with, booting on floppy installed ;) )

So... no problem on this board detected.

Mk3 installed with no problem.

Tested with 2 HDMI cables, 2 Television Port (that work good on other hardware), 2 PC monitors.

On all test : Black screen, no output.

Boot on rescue disk and re-flash the hardware with no problem and...nothing change, always black screen.

Check 3 voltages on regulator : Found 5V, 3.3V and 1.8V, correct value.

Test With (on my side) 2 PSU (and so, 4 in total with mahem tests)

Lauch configuration program to set and test configuration : No problem to lauch this software, no bug but... no change, always Black screen on hdmi output.

Humm....

Visual check of the hdmi connector 'pin' : All are in correct status.

Test the cable from MK3 to PCB_VGA_HDMI : All pin are checked well.

Well... last test : The VGA output with the SUB-D15 connector : WORK

I have a very good signal on my pc monitor and so see my workbench.

Conclusion on my side :

Hdmi output : Don't work (and don't know why)

Vga ouput : Work very good

Check Keyboard access (Left Shift and Left Control + Tild) : Work good

• Each and every unit is tested for full functionality before it gets it's warranty ID - this test includes both VGA and HDMI outputs. Please try with a different HDMI cable - there's quite a few low-quality units on the market. Also, please download the config tool and start playing around with pixel clocks and audio on/off (pure DVI or HDMI encoding). The monitor you're using might not like what it's getting on the input.

• 3 cables tested. (of different quality)

3 Tv and monitors tested (Samsung, Panasonic and, I don't know the brand side Mahen)

>please download the config tool and start playing around with pixel clocks and audio on/off (pure DVI or HDMI encoding). The monitor you're using might not like what it's getting on the input

Ok, i going to try this.

Thks a lot.

• Already tested, point to point, all are well connected.

Check a lot of configuration, all don't work.

I have always : Test Mode : Unknown Mode

I think the card don't read the information of my Tv

->Re-Read monitor display data -> Give -> Could not read display information.

Hdmi link seemns don't working.

Going to test with another Tv and câble

->And

Tested on my Plasma TV with High quality cable give me exactly the same, black screen.

Output work on VGA port

But don't work on HDMI port

• I'v just tested all video mode under indivision program, all give me 'black screen'.

Try to use the menu 'flash firmware' under this program and

it' give a video signal on my TV (my TV say : 800x600), great HDMI quality signal.

Cold Reboot : Ok, Hdmi output work again

Reboot : Ok, always good on hdmi ouput.

BUT, start to lauch your software, no matter the resolution or configuration selected.

If I test or save, BIMMMM -> Return to black screen.

Last : Long poweroff (5 min) return to the issue, Black screen.

To to launch indivision and flash Fimware menu.

• So the fault has now moved: First it was the HDMI link, then it's the monitor data that can't be read, which is using different chips and different wires on the cable. Also, if you save, your monitor loses the picture.

Could it be that you're saving wrong data? Is the software complaining about unsaved changes when you start it?

• Return To my TV (LCD), re-test with flash firmware tips : Don't work.

Hummm

Connect with the same cable of my LCD but directly on my Samsung monitor : Try again flash-firmware... always black screen

BUT, with the monitor I can read some information and I see : 3840x2160 @ 60Hz

O_o'

Start the indivision program on the scart ouput, select 800x600, use and save.

Ahhh : Now i can see a 800x600 pictire on my PC monitor.

Try : PowerOff (5mn) and start again

Seems working.

hum, Ok, Try (on live) deconnect this cable to my PC monitor and re-plug on My LCD TV (Panasonic)

Nop, always Black screen.

So on LCD TV, no matter the configuration it's not working. (not important, it's juste for testing)

No matter the hardware configuration (Tv, monitor, cableS), I have always a 'Unknown Mode' printed. (but no matter, seems working)

Try another resolution : Seems Working

let's try to 'Restore to default' --> Black screen

Start Indivision Programm, Enable Pre Pal Auto+Vsync -> Save & Apply

Bim --> Return of output Picture on Hdmi port :)

So, it's a loading configuration (and so apply), that was not correct for me.

Need to ENABLE the 'Pre Pal Auto+Vsync' to work.

Going to do some test but i thinks that was the problem.

Hum : In ajustements menu, Re : High (work) and Normal (Black Screen), LOL

>Is the software complaining about unsaved changes when you start it

Yep !

The Configuration is not saved to the device

• The Configuration is not saved to the device

That explains why it's changing behaviour after you power cycle. The unit will revert to the settings that are saved in the flash on every power cycle.

At some point, I was thinking that you have one of the rare boards that cause the unit to not start up properly and a reset of the launch control logic is required, but that doesn't appear to be the case, especially since you've tried using the rescue disk (which does the same to initiate a re-boot of the FPGA).

So the best guess I currently have is that you're using a screen mode that is either not caught in the standard configuration, or the mode uses a totally unknown VGA-side output (which will also be applied to HDMI - both will always show the same picture using the same settings for H+V frequency). Please do take the time to work through the documentation - it's a lot, and the topic is complex, but once you've caught the idea which config is chosen under which condition, it'll be the most logical thing to you:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK3/doc

• Marking the issue as resolved as it was a configuration issue.

Maybe it should be indicated in the manual that by default no HDMI mode is enabled ?

In the short paper manuel if I recall correctly (everything is at Giants' place) it was written that the default settings were chosen to be super compatible so people probably expect the card to work out of the box in HDMI -- and some people might only have access to an HDMI screen. While apparently they have to use the VGA output to configure it first ?

Thanks a lot, Jens & Giants ! :)

• Maybe it should be indicated in the manual that by default no HDMI mode is enabled ?

That shouldn't be indicated in the manual, because it's not the case. Std config enables both outputs, and this is tested during our QC procedure. The unit is packed after successful QC and not operated again. I assume that you've switched off HDMI inadvertetly at some point between purchase (mid-September according to our records) and today.

Good to hear that it works now.

• Been using the Indi on my repaired A1200 since then and it works like a charm.

I managed to get great results. I use scanlines + bilinear filtering and it feels just right. I'm used to using tons of pixel shaders etc. combinations etc. under emulator, and used to the MiSTer FPGA framework which enables tons of advanced filters / masks etc. -- but actually, I like a lot what Jens came up with, which is also way simpler to set.

I just have to fine tune the pixel clock. I almost get a tear-free butter-smooth experience, whith an occasionnal horizontal line passing through (without double buffering :).

Thanks again, Jens & Giants :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.