ACE2b Flicker issue when using interlaced modes...

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello, I got my ACE2b installed and now 2MB chip ram in my A2000. However, have bad flicker and a blurry WB when using my preferred NTSC Hi-Res Laced mode as this provides the optimal workbench size. If I use NTSC Hi-Res mode it works fine. It is the interlaced modes which are not working correctly. Any ideas?

• There is no "flicker fixer". Should I use one? If so, what is recommended? The interlace screen modes have always worked perfectly in the past without a flicker fixer. I use the A2320 video card. This is an NTSC machine in the US. There is also an 68EC020-TK from Matzi installed. These are the only additional hardware in my A2000. I still run WB 2.05 and WHDLoad for maximum game compatibility.

By the way, this is much worse flicker than seen when switching an NTSC machine to PAL. The workbench display is severely distorted. I tried to attach photo but it is too large so I cropped it. The WB drawer text is nearly unreadable. The chip memory is 18xxx...not 10xxx. The 8 looks like a 0 in the photo.

• The A2320 is a flicker fixer, and it uses the Amber chip. What your photos are showing doesn't look like a defective ACE2b, not even like a defective flicker fixer.

What I assume has happened is that you had to remove the A2320 for ACE2b installation, and in that process, you've altered the switch position of the A2320. Please check that before trying anything else. THe switch is accessible without opening the computer - it's directly above the VGA connector, so you should be able to reach to the back of the machine and toggle it.

• Sorry, for the delay but I have been out of town for a few weeks. Yes, I am aware of the switch and this is the first thing that I tried. I have only always received video when the switch is in the correct position. If the switch is in the alternate position, then there is no video at all.

• It seems that you were correct. I returned home and flipped the switch on the A2320 and it solved the problem. I swear that I had already tried this. You are a genius :-)

In the past, this switch had to be set in one direction since the other caused a black screen. Does the ACE2b upgrade change something to allow the other direction to work?

• In the past, this switch had to be set in one direction since the other caused a black screen. Does the ACE2b upgrade change something to allow the other direction to work?

ACE2b comes with an NTSC Agnus pre-installed, and needs to be switched to PAL with a screenmode setting, if desired.

Other than that, the output is not changed. I can only assume that you've changed monitors since you've last tried it, or that it's on the edge in the "flicker fixer off" setting.

I'm marking this as resolved.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.