Cores ported to Chameleon V2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
  • Too bad about the Spectrum..I spoke to the author and whilst he didn't promise he'd work on it he implied that if no one else updated it he would. Oh well, good news that the other person has one as an alternative.

Fair play about the ZX81 and C128. But I think the ZX81 might be a good goal for myself to try to learn how to this. I write software for a living but hardware is mostly magic to me so it's probably not realistic but i might try.

After the ZX Spectrum, what I really truly want is the }{gs and the ST. And a finished Vic20 ;)

What level of CPU is a realistic goal for this? Could it do a 68020 or 030?

I'd love a Sun3 more than anything else.

• The Spectrum core for the V1 hardware is kinda difficult to port to V2, as it does not use our Chameleon IO instance, but "something self-made", which would have to be ported to the new hardware. I have my doubts that anyone else than the original author can do that in acceptable time, but the original author has no interest in that core any more

Is the source for that core publicly available? In a moment of curiosity I could only find binaries.

Since there are now many, many FPGA cores out there, it might be a good idea to maintain a list of known cores and their current status, so anyone interested in tackling a core can see which ones are in progress and which ones need a port?

• What level of CPU is a realistic goal for this? Could it do a 68020 or 030

The Minimig core already has a 68020-level CPU (though not perfectly compatible) which runs at roughly 40MHz '030 speeds.

The fastest CPU I've seen running this kind of FPGA so far is a pipelined MIPS core complete with branch prediction, roughly comparable speed-wise to a first generation Pentium. The Vampire's CPU core runs on a comparable (though larger) FPGA, and is, I believe, faster still.

Is the source for that core publicly available?

Unfortunately not. The author does not likey to publish it (which we respect, of course). I have the source here, but i am unable to do this port. If you are really interested in doing this, perhaps you can contact the author and ask for it? :)

• Just bought the V2 having never owned a TC64. Well that’s answered my question about the ZX core with the blank screen on my monitor. Drat. I really wanted a ZX core as well. It seems like the TC64 core development isn’t that well supported yet. Would love to see lots more.

It seems like the TC64 core development isn’t that well supported yet.

We are supporting it as good as we can - if you are missing something, just say so.