Cores ported to Chameleon V2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
  • Tobias : I thought the cores that ran on V1 also would run on V2 and that you chose the current FPGA chip so that everything from V1 would work seemlessly on the V2 without any porting. But, if I understand the post above correctly the core authors (e.g. minimig core) now needs to port it to the FPGA used in the V2 ? If this is the case, why did you not upgrade the FPGA to a bigger one so it would have room for larger cores ?

This is not critique -- I am just curious :-)

• Simply said, the "new" FPGA isnt actually new, it's basically the same thing in a more modern package and with changed pinout. We switched because the old one became too expensive. And a bigger one would also be more expensive - and require a lot more effort for porting a core, which right now is very easy (it took me a few hours to port one of the examples the other day, and that was mostly because my knowledge in that area is close to zero :))

• Right now i am porting the examples, and depending on how hard it turns out i will either contact the authors of the other cores or just port them myself :)

• I'm in contact with more core authors - those who have published cores, but didn't port to the Chameleon yet. I will only be able to support them with the V2 hardware, but since our promise to existing Chameleon customers was that we'll continue to support the old hardware, it's a good idea to keep the FPGAs "mostly the same". So when we get a new core for V2, it'll most likely be easy to back-port it to V1 and make it available to existing customers without too much hassle.

"larger FPGA" alone won't help making more cores available. It's really a system design that you need to do - interfaces, memory and bandwidth is what you need to look at. Imagine the Chameleon running a core that allows running a flavour of Linux, and 32MBytes quickly become a tight limit. Imagine the VGA output displaying 1280x1024 pixels hi-colour, and you're already using more than two thirds of the memory bandwidth of said 32MBytes. These are just small examples of what to look at when you're designing a new platform.

Chameleon is a "tried and true" platform. Here at iComp, we don't like to drop support for things that are still great for being used in everyday life. After all, "Retro" is what we do :-)

• They will get created when you build the core on the command line, like:

Code
    1. ~/altera/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_sh -t chameleon2_life.tcl

perhaps we should check them in, i also fell for it :)

BTW, i am almost ready with porting your pong core (that was yours, right?) - send me a pm with your email and i'll mail it over... some details dont work yet, but thats related to my complete lack of vhdl/quartus knowledge =)

• Tobias : Alastair Robinson who ported the MiniMig core to the V1 is on our Fb group and he says he has downloaded Quartus and the example V2 code and I am sure he is willing to give it a try, but it would be great if you got in touch with him.

• They will get created when you build the core on the command line, like:

Code
    1. ~/altera/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_sh -t chameleon2_life.tcl

perhaps we should check them in, i also fell for it

Oh OK, yes that works. It might not be a bad idea to include them, because I can't see any way to run that script from the GUI, and running it from the command line is a bit of a pain when you need multiple versions of Quartus on your system, so can't have it in your path.

• Well, all of Russia is waiting for the transfer of mining))
    When will the download link please warn. I'm still doing an advertising campaign and posting on my channel what Chameleon can do.

Many are waiting for the Amiga, although I bought it myself to listen to StereoSid

• AGA does require more FPGA space, and I'm not sure if that fits the Chameleon. So for the moment, I don't want to promise more than what we have for the V1 hardware, and that's ECS with a turbo-CPU option and a lot of memory.