MK2 Replacement for the 2114, Color memory Chip

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Curious to know what chip the Mk2 is using to replace the 2114 SRAM for Color memory?

I see that there's a D431000AGW-80Y SRAM chip on my board. Is that for both main memory and color?

• What may not be so obvious is that all available Kernal ROMs are loaded into the RAM in one go, and switching between them can be made while the machine is running. You only notice this when putting the Kernal-switch signal on a long-press of RESTORE, for example: The switch happens while the cursor is blinking and the machine shows no different behaviour.

This allows you to use a fast loader kernal for loading, then switch to original kernal before typing RUN. I used to have such a setup as a teenager with "Prologic DOS" as a very potent fast loader, but with limited compatibility compared to Dolphin DOS, which I had before that. Switching between kernals was required a lot, unfortunately.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.