P96 Won't display WHDLoad games, Picasso96 will

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I bought and set up P96 today for use with WinUAE because I wanted to use the latest drivers. I have it setup with a UAE Zorro III card with 8MB of VRAM.
    After setting up the uaegfx fix I was able to get the Workbench screen (3.2) to display in 1280x1024 with millions of colours, which is great. So far it works fine.

The trouble is when I launch games, which is the whole point of what I'm doing – the vast majority simply display a black screen, although I can often hear the action.

If I replace the P96 uaegfx/.info files in Devs/Monitors with ones from a Picasso96 installation (dated 1996, likely Aminet) and the Monitors.info file in the parent directory, everything works perfectly, meaning the old, free version of the driver works but the new P96 version straight from the developer doesn't.

Have I misconfigured something? If so, any help on fixing it would be greatly appreciated.

• I followed that guide. How could I have got Workbench to display in 1280x1024 otherwise?
    There wasn't any warning about installing under WinUAE, by the way.

I have P96 set up and working. The issue is specifically running WHDLoad games, and even then, not all of them. GLOOM, for example, works fine (although sounds are doubled), but everything else either doesn't run or runs with a black screen.

Please advise.

• Update: GLOOM works because it doesn't use WHDLoad.
    Setting up the exact same system using the Aminet binaries produces working results.

If P96 is simply incompatible with WHDLoad in a way Picasso96 isn't, I shall have to request a refund.
    Regards

• Please direct the refund request to those who should have read the UAE documentation to you: Switching between Amiga-chipset and RTG is done using (modifier) and the F9 key. Modifier depends on what flavour of UAE you have. WIndows mostly uses the left ALT key, Mac OS uses the CMD key, but it may be that you've overridden the modifier key with the modifier_key option.

Note that the emulated automatic switcher of (Win)UAE is not perfect, just as it isn't perfect in the real world either. It is not a property of P96, but of UAE.

• Please also make sure that you have DISPLAYCHAIN=Yes set in uaegfx.info tooltype settings. It tells P96 that there actually is a switcher. Still, older WHDload games might not use the switcher, and you may need to configure WHDload to switch to native chipset, which may get you around the (modifier+)F9 key combo.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.