Indivision for other platforms

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Indivision is an incredible piece of hardware. It can produce a crystal sharp image for any output videomodes. A piece of art.

Will there be versions for other platforms in the future. For example for Atari ST/STE?

• We did look into Atari before, but could not get any idea what the market is like. I asked in an Atari forum a few years back if there is anyone who would be willing and capable of writing a config tool, but there was literally zero feedback.

A proper config tool would be the primary showstopper/enabler. We have a bit of Atari hardware, and the Indivision ECS V2/V3 tool is primarily written in C with a few 68k assembly parts, so that's all fairly portable. However, we don't have any software experience to make a GUI for the Atari OS, and I wouldn't even know if Timm would be willing to put yet another machine on his table. Further, it would of course take a certain minimum amount of orders to pay for the initial cost of such a project, and I already know that there's at least two versions of the Shifter chip (DIP40 and PLCC68 if I remember right).

Implementing these chips in an FPGA should be straight-forward with the recovered chip schematics that were released by Christian Zietz not too long ago.

So it all boils down to proper software, as silicon without software is just sand. Find us a programmer, or at least someone who could teach Timm a solid foundaton of Atari GUI programming, then we'll look into making Indivision available for Atari ST as well.

• May be, as the temporary first option, it makes sense to have an external PC/Mac configuration software? I think that videomode parameters could be tested on (for example) Amiga and sended to Atari-scandoubler as text config file. Like configuring Indivision ECS on Kickstart 1.2/1.3 at now.

• TBH, that doesn't feel like an iComp-solution. Yes, it's inconvenient on Amigas with Kick 1.2/1.3, but it never involves a second machine with a separate OS (yes, I'm assuming that an ACA500plus is on pretty much any A500 by now).

If you go as far as involving a second device, you should look at very common devices, such as a smart phone or tablet, and find a way to transfer data from the smart phone to the flicker fixer.

• Transferring the configuration file to an Atari per command line tool would be definitely a sound and reasonable option. Unlike some other things that are being concocted right now :-)

• Transferring the configuration file to an Atari per command line tool would be definitely a sound and reasonable option. Unlike some other things that are being concocted right now :-)

So, may be it's time for producing a first version of Indivision ST? I will be a first customer :)

• This is not going to happen soon. There is obviously no real consensus about how the product should even look&feel, so "production" or even "prototype" is not an option.

What we've introduced with Indivision AGA MK3 is something that I would not want to skip on in any future project, and that's real-time settings, optionally without a config tool at all. Indivision AGA MK3 allows you to bring up an on-screen display with a magic key combination, and then make positional/zoom changes with the mouse.

So far, the very idea of making a flicker fixer for the ST is in my head. Further, we're currently working on Keyrah V3, which also has an 8-pin connector for an Atari ST keyboard (yes, only 8-pin, not 18-pin). Bringing this knowledge together, I can imagine that intercepting the Atari ST keyboard with a small ciruit board is an option to completely skip on a native Atari GUI tool and completely solve it with an OSD which can be controlled with a hot-key combination and the mouse. This would have the benefit of a) not requiring Atari programming skills and b) being able to adjust and save things while a game is running.

It would not make the unit any cheaper, though. Also, the "shifter" is only doing GFX. Sound is coming from the Yamaha chip. If we make a concept with HDMI-out, people may expect it to also carry audio, adding more complexity to the equation. Not just on a product level, but also on the installation level, as it would be yet another chip that we need access to.

I have literally zero knowledge of what the ST scene is like. Would a product with this many different connections (Shifter, Yamaha, keyboard) be accepted? Are there any other products to worry about that may be installed on these connections?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.