V1 Breakout Cable, V2 Questions

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Is there any way of buying a spare breakout cable for the V1 (possibly bundled with a Chameleon V2 when i buy one), cant see one on the shop? mine has gone awol and im left without a means to use my device atm :(

Also before i buy a second device (is there still stock or is the parts shortage an issue here as well?), which now looks to be the V2? a few quick questions.

I see the Docking Station V2 says it supports both V1 and V2, but does that apply also to the Chameleon V2? does it require the new docking station or will the old one work as well? if there is a difference what changed between old/new docking stations?. Also does the RRNet-V3 addon function within the TC64/Minimig core to give network access to the amiga core or is it a C64 feature only?

I see the Docking Station V2 says it supports both V1 and V2, but does that apply also to the Chameleon V2? does it require the new docking station or will the old one work as well

Either works fine

if there is a difference what changed between old/new docking stations?

see here

Also does the RRNet-V3 addon function within the TC64/Minimig core to give network access to the amiga core or is it a C64 feature only?

Short Answer: no

Long answer: there is an older experimental version of the core that will support rr-net for networking. However, this generally doesn't work well (it is very slow), so it was not merged into the mainline core

Jens can tell if he still has v1 breakout cables and how to get them....

• Is there any way of buying a spare breakout cable for the V1 (possibly bundled with a Chameleon V2 when i buy one), cant see one on the shop? mine has gone awol and im left without a means to use my device atm :(

We have V1 breakout cables in stock. These are exchange-only items: You send in your old/defective unit, and we'll sell you a new one for 20,- EUR incl. VAT, plus shipment. If you do not have the old cable, it'll be considerably more expensive, in order to keep anyone from stocking them - we really want them to be *used* and rather prefer to not sell them before they end up unused in someone's drawer.

(is there still stock or is the parts shortage an issue here as well?)

Ever since the capacitor shortage of 2016, iComp is keeping good stock of pretty much every part that will be required several months, up to 1 year into the future. The impact of chip-a-geddon has been very low on us so far. Successful sellers like the Chameleon, but also C64 Reloaded MK2 and ACA500plus, are secured for continued production.

Long answer: there is an older experimental version of the core that will support rr-net for networking.

Kindof. If I remember right, there is no sana2-device, and as Tobias said, the chip in the config on RR-Net MK3 is only good for lower-end 8-bit computers. The Amiga would at least require 16 bits data bus and a working IRQ, which is neither available in any versin of Chameleon, nor on any version of the Docking Station.

I recommend to use a real Amiga is you want to use networking. An A500 with ACA500plus and X-Surf-500 is very affordable, and very usable, even without a 32-bit accelerator.

• Hunted around for ages and I cant find my V1 breakout cable anywhere, how much more expensive is expensive? i dont mind more expensive as long as its not "insane expensive", considering my V1 is pretty much a paperweight without the cable and i definitely cant find the 1 i should have.

• Im desperate :-( I have lost my breakout cable in a move :-( and the old one was slightly wonky in the end too with the outer cap - I had used the V1 in a C64 for a while but I really dont want to lose the option of using it standalone :-( :-(

EDIT: I bought the V1 from Vesalia in the very beginning !

• So much for searching ............ A while after I cried my salty tears I found the cable UNDER A C64 ACRYLIC-CLOTH COVERING ONTOP of the C64 in the box WITH the Chameleon ...... I had only seen the video cable and assumed the other was gone. I'm not quite myself these days :-( had toothache for a while those days too .. must have been that clouded my ability ||:|=O=O=O

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.