Mk2 board wouldn't work . .

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I received my Reloaded MkII about a week ago. I had to order a new VIC-II chip and a CIA chip to replace defective ones. However, I still could not get it to work.

I started removing chips for troubleshooting and once I got down to only the CPU and VIC-II I was able to get a blue screen with no text. The dead test cartridge would run also.

Any time I inserted any other chip into its ZIF, I could not get a video screen. The green LEDs behaviour was also inconsistent, sometimes blinking or solid or off after cycling the power.

At this point, I began moving the chips back to the original (5-pin video) C64 motherboard. Once I got all of the chips re-installed, that motherboard worked.

For now, I'm going to use the original system and start collecting chips to populate the Reloaded MkII motherboard for future.

I was able to get the serial terminal working on the MkII, but it would not consistently recognize the chips.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get this running since it looks very well designed and built. I'm sure I missed a step in the assembly or overlooked some very important instruction step.

• Please try the following:

- update the firmware using the tool from the wiki

- if it still doesn't work, please show what the hardware detection item in the remote menu says

• Today I was able to do more troubleshooting with good chips from an original working C64. The problem was with the power supply I was using. It was marked 12 VDC @ 1.5A, but as I began adding the SID and CIA chips to the board it would stop working. When I switched over to using my bench top power supply the board began working. I’ve ordered a 12VDC / 5A power supply off Amazon. When powering the board from my bench top supply, it reported a 0.45 amp draw, so that wall wart I was using before must have been really over rated.

• I’ve ordered a 12VDC / 5A power supply off Amazon.

That might be overkill. The general recommendation (also outside Commodore/retro stuff) is to use properly-sized PSUs, as they will work in a higher-efficiency range and they will detect a short sooner than something that is at least 5x over-rated.

Our international PSU is spec'd 12V/2A. It will operate at very high efficiency.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.