Chameleon V2 and installed cartridges

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

Yesterday I received the Chameleon V2, what a great device!

I tried to use several installed cartridges on the Cham2, but only the Action Reply V5 (retro replay) seems to work.

Some boot into a normal C64 (KCS, Nordic Power), while for example the FC3 results in the bigger border with the bluescreen without text, like it's being resetted all the time.

Some only give a blackscreen (stardos) and you have to powercycle the C64.

Am I to early , are these cartridges still in beta?

- Hans

• No the cartridges work, but require the correct .crt or rom-image to be loaded. It sounds like you configured the slot to a certain type without loading the required rom. Only the retro-replay rom comes standard in the firmware. The others need to be loaded from sdcard.

• As Peter said, the options in the Menu only change the "Hardware" of the emulated cartridges. We do not (and we can not, due to copyright) provide the software for them - you can either load it using the filebrowser, or configure the chameleon to load the images from sd-card at startup.

• Hi HansK,

I´m also new to TCv2, and this is what I have done, and worked for me:

1.- Load FinalCartridge_III.crt (or whatever your FC3 image name is) file from FileBrowser and put it in Cartridge SLOT1.

2.- Go to main menu and press "1". This will load Cartridge in slot 1. Check that FC3 is working

3.- Press black button to go back to TC menu

4.- Go to File Browser and navigate to "CHAM64" folder (you can pre-create it in the SD Card root dir).

5.- Press F4 and Select Save ROM image

6.- Write "slot1.rom" as the file name

7.- Select "Cartridge Slot 1". TC dumps binary image of the cartridge to the file

8.- Enable Boot options to tell TC to load files from Cham64 folder when booting. TC will load slot1.rom file into Cartridge slot 1 when booting.

Reboot TC..... your FC3 Cartridge is loaded into TC and ready to use. Press 1 and check it works

You can do the same for other cartridge slots....

Hope it helps!!!

BTW, this process should go into TC manual :)

David

• I am trying to follow the instructions above, but every time when I want to 'save ROM image' (with F4 and browsing to CHAM64 folder), I am getting error message "write protect on" ! I have tried with 2 different SD cards and both are not 'write protected'. I can connect them to Windows and copy files to it. Any idea where this "write protect" message is coming from? I am unable to save ROMS to SD cards...

• The write-protect message comes from checking the little write-protect slider on the side of SD card - make sure its in the "unlocked" position. Since checking this slider is a software thing, its possible that your PC card reader does not check this. Another possibility could be the SD card slot on the Chameleon being defective... or perhaps the contact for this is just stuck, if thats the case perhaps you can loosen it again by putting the slider on a SD card to "locked" position, and then inserting/removing it a couple times.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.