ACA1234 PCMCIA issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi I have just installed a new ACA1234 and OS3.2 on my A1200 all is running well however I am having issues transferring files from a compact flash card in the PCMCIA slot.

The system sees the card (CF0) and the files are visible but if I try to use any file I get a error "Failed CRC Check" and corrupted data

If I copy the file to the RAM disk I still get the same message. Something is corrupting the files as if I transfer the same file over a NUL modem cable the file works perfectly.

Any ideas please help.

Chris

• I just unchecked CF option in acatool and kept original CF drivers - this will keep PCMCIA functionality if ACA1234 is put to the "stealth" mode.

Is there any advantage of the ACA1234 CF option vs. native OS CF driver?

• well, in the above message I meant the situation when internal IDE_CF is used as boot device or when a cloned system partition is used in the internal IDE_CF and ACA_CF - in this situation it's easier to turn off the ACA_CF driver and rely on the OS installed driver rather than fiddle with this driver in the OS installation. :)

• Is there any advantage of the ACA1234 CF option vs. native OS CF driver?

Yes, for example cold-booting from a CF card in PCMCIA. Yes, that really means an Amiga-formatted card in PCMCIA. Mentioned in the product description and Wiki :-)

well, in the above message I meant the situation when internal IDE_CF is used as boot device or when a cloned system partition is used in the internal IDE_CF and ACA_CF - in this situation it's easier to turn off the ACA_CF driver and rely on the OS installed driver rather than fiddle with this driver in the OS installation. :)

Why run a fully cloned system? Why not make a difference between the two and uninstall the PCMCIA driver from the card in the ACA1234's slot? This way they're not there if you boot with 68030, and they will be there if you boot from internal IDE.

• Well, I was moving the system (3.2, 3.1, 3.0) between the ACA-CF and the internal IDE-CF back and forth untill I got the partitions right. Eventually I got complete CF clones and decided to keep a clone for internal IDE-CF (it is accessible from backside of theAmiga case - so I can insert it when needed) in case I need to run it with ACA1234 in stealth mode or as abackup (e.g. to set internal SD-IDE forA600). Of course we could remove the compactflash.device from the ACA_CF, but then will have to remember to return it, if a copy of the ACA_CF is used elsewhere :)

However booting from PCMCIA is a good point to use ACA's CF driver and remove it from the DEVs drawer!

• Hello sorry for the late reply as I've been overseas and away from my amiga..

Sadly I removed the old PCMCIA drivers and the problem is still present, I can open the PCMCIA card and see the files, but if I try to extract say a .lha file it starts to extract and then comes up with "Error Fail CRC Check" corrupt/extraneous data..

I know the files and CF card are good as they work on my A600 perfectly..

Not sure what to do now?

Chris

• Thanks for your reply, but sadly no bent or damaged pins....

I have now Installed 3.0Roms, (no ACA1234 expansion in trapdoor) installed original HDD (formatted) with a fresh copy of workbench 3.0, installed PCMCIA<>CF ADAPTER software... and the PCMCIA works perfectly with no errors.

Note: I removed the ACA1234 card, removed the 3.2roms,

By my process the problem is with either ACA1234 Card, 3.2Roms or OS3.2?

• By my process the problem is with either ACA1234 Card, 3.2Roms or OS3.2?

The ACA1234 is a combined hardware/software product. The PCMCIA functionality is in the software part of the card, and it is using the same drivers that you can also find on the internet - so essentially the same drivers that you have just verified positive.

Your next steps would be to:

- delete the PCMCIA drivers from your 3.0 installation

- remove any CF card from the CF slot of the ACA1234

- insert the ACA1234 and use it with the 3.0 installation

- check PCMCIA functionality (switch on/off in ACAtool)

If you find that the PCMCIA functionality works, you can safely say that 3.2 ROMs are causing the problem - but only then!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.