Indivision MK3 not detected (most of the time)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I recently purchased an Indivision MK3 for my A1200. When it works, it works beautifully. However, mostly it is not detected (no signal to the monitor and the Indivision software does not detect it). I assume the problem of not being detected is that the main Indivision board is not seated properly over the Lisa chip. I've tried re-installing it, making sure it's snapping fully on. Finally I got it to work. But when I turn off the A1200 and turn it on again, it's back to not being detected. I've pulled it off and re-installed it so many times now. Just got it to work again after removing and re-installing about 10 times but alas, it is not detected again after I turned the machine off and on again.

Any tips or advice on installing it or anything else? I'd like to be able to get it reliably working all the time.

I bought my A1200 new in 1994. It's in the original case and has been well looked after. Current specs are:

- Kickstart 3.1 ROMs

- Blizzard 1260 accelerator with 68060, 64MB RAM and onboard SCSI controller (have tested with and without the accelerator, it seems to make no difference as I can get it to work with the accelerator)

- 4GB 2.5" IDE hard disk (next job will be to swap for a 4GB CF drive)

- old converted PC power supply which has been rock solid (also have some old A500 PSUs but they're starting to get flaky)

- connected to a 17" AOC LCD monitor via a pretty decent quality HDMI-DVI cable on the Indivision HDMI port (also have an old 1084S CRT which I have used to run the Indivision software to confirm it's not being detected).

• - old converted PC power supply

Can you measure the 5V rail with a good multimeter during operation?

- 4GB 2.5" IDE hard disk (next job will be to swap for a 4GB CF drive)

That's going to be beneficial for heat - the HD on top of Indivision is not a good combo.

Both of these points should NOT result in the board bot being found at all. The Indivision software will look for the configured, running board. However, we've had cases in this forum where the board would not launch from a cold-start, but it would happily launch if the rescue disk is being used. From there, I have written a tiny tool that will run another attempt at launching the FPGA from the local flash, and customers have reported that it works for them.

The post with the "reset tool" is here. Please check if this will also make your unit work - if so, a different power supply might be worth a try.

• Can you measure the 5V rail with a good multimeter during operation?

I will try to get hold of one to measure it. In any case, I do intend to get a new PSU which may help in the long term.

That's going to be beneficial for heat - the HD on top of Indivision is not a good combo.

Thanks for pointing that out. I gathered that heat could be an issue so I have been testing it with the 2.5" drive flipped over and half hanging out of the case (with the lid off) so it wasn't on top of the scandoubler.

The post with the "reset tool" is here. Please check if this will also make your unit work - if so, a different power supply might be worth a try.

I'll try the reset tool, thank you.

• I'm not sure how to measure the 5V rail while the A1200 is on. But in any case, I'll replace my current PSU soon which should help in the long term.

The reset tool does make it work after it was added to the startup sequence. That's good for a stop gap measure, thank you.

• An update: with a new Polish-made Electroware PSU designed for Amigas, the Indivision MK3 now runs beautifully without the need for the reset tool in the startup sequence.

• Polish-made Electroware PSU designed for Amigas

That might be advertised for Amigas, but it is not suitable for Amigas. I've been warning not to buy these for years. What they do is false advertising. Please see our PSU FAQ:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Powersupply_FAQ

Nice anecdotal slip, but not our recommended way. Use an original Amiga PSU and re-cap it, that will give you the required specs. The Electroware things violate three out of three key specifications from Commodore.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.