Compatible Compact flash card and Adapter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Since these are just wire-adapters without electronics, you only need to look for the right power source: If you find an adapter that uses pin#20 as it's 5V source, that would be perfect (i.e. the "1A-choice" of an ideal world). The "1B choice" would be an adapter that uses a 3.5" power plug as it's power source.

• Yes, that should be possible. Only requirement is that CF cards must be fully ATA compliant and stay off the bus when they are not addressed. Not all of them do that.

• Im looking for specific recommendation for the compact flash media, like what works good for you. And also what adapter cards do you use or had good luck with, maybe a model number or website were you bought them at.

• I generally don't want any links to other shops in this forum, just because I don't want to deal with the legal implications (someone might think that I endorse the product, and that's only the case for very few products).

Please note that Buddha is not a CF card controller. It is an IDE controller, and CF cards have a "True IDE mode" as per specification. However, there is no entity that enforces proper implementation of the True IDE mode, so your mileage may vary.

Same with adapters: These are mostly "just wire adapters", which is why we have introduced buffered CF card adapters for A600 and A1200 computers. The feedback from customers is overwhelmingly positive. If you're now asking why we don't offer this for the Buddha, the answer is simple: The two ports are already buffered. However, they are not separated, so technically, up to four devices are being driven from the same drivers. In theory, that gives a non-compliant device the chance to keep the whole controller from working. This is the case for certain low-cost DVD drives from the early 2000s, for example.

Long story short: Go with any IDE->CF adapter that has the correct connector (40-pin, not 44-pin) and ideally, the possibility to power it from pin#20. For CF cards, stick with good name brands like Sandisk or Lexar. Do not buy online, as you get scammed on these brand names too often (lots of fakes out there). Instead, go to your local (electronics) store - the big chains can't afford to offer fakes, so you're pretty safe there.

• Hi, I got my card, and a compact flash adapter. I don't want to break anything so i am asking for clarification please.

So the instructions say:

If you want to use a CF card with an adapter as a harddrive, you will most likely need the free flash update that we‘re providing in our Wiki. Our TrueIDE adapter is not supported!

so do I need to flash with :

Buddha ROM Binary file with bug fix of may 6th, 2019: File:Buddha 52-101.lha

or

Final update of all IDE drivers: File:Eb final.lha

Thank you

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.