What You Can Do with the Buddha 20-year Anniversary Edition IDE Controller

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Please read the thread, Buddha / Can't boot from buddha DOM, there you can see the issues I had with my Buddha.

NOTICE: The information here is with Kickstart 3.2 rom(s) and OS 3.2 on my A3000T with Cyberstorm MK2 68060-50. I have NOT tried this on other kickstart or OS.

Here are what the Buddha can do.

1. You can install IDE hard drive, set it to master. Set the DVD as slave. Do not connect the DVD drive yet.

2. Make a PC floppy on the Amiga, copy the icon.library and workbench.library files from the OS3.2 CD use a windowzzz machine to do this.

this will allow to boot from your hard drive. These are required as kickstart 3.2 roms don't have the libs files on the roms, they are on the OS3.2 CD.

Copy (see thread) these files to the libs directory on the BDH0. Remove the floppy and you can reboot to OS3.2. I edited the CD install script file to use the buddhascsi.device

You DON'T need an IDE CD-ROM, most IDE DVD-r/w work great. Power down and connect the DVD drive.

3. Install the DVD-r/w from BuddhaInstall DOM. There is a problem with the FIND CD and the CD INSTALL. See my procedure on the above-mentioned thread.

4. After you get your DVD working you can install OS3.2 see thread.

5 The DVD drive will read CD, DVD, DVD-R/W, DVD erasable and DVD-RAM disks. I like erasable disks as you can reuse them many times and you can save files with long file names. The Amiga will display the free space on the CD, DVDs. Copy info you like the CD1 to show it on the WB screen, on a PC formatted floppy and copy it to your windozzz machine desktop make a folder, Amiga ICON. On a windozzz machine format the CD like a USB. Copy Amiga files to the disc and include the disc.info file, this will display the Amiga icon on the Amiga WB screen remember to close / finalize the disk so the Amiga will read the disc. Select SHOW ALL files and VIEW by NAME to show what's on the disc, or use Dopus V4.xx it is one of the most useful tool that was ever written for the Amiga.

5. You can use MakeCD and write files to the disc, I haven't used MakeCD there may be other programs that you can write files to a CD but windowzzz machine may not read them.

6. Buy a small DOM 2, 4, 8 GB and use it as your boot and work device. Remove the DOM and jumper and use the right IDE for the DVD drive. Remember to install the jumper when you use a DOM and REMOVE them when you use HD, DVD or other devices, see buddha instructions. I replaced the black jumper(s) with another color to make them more visible.

7. It's important to back up the BuddhaInstall files to floppies to repair your DOM or use buddharepaire.lha file, see the thread.

Hope this helps you using the Buddha.

Enjoy.

Frank

• I have used the latest version of MakeCD and it works with most if not all DVD-R/W IDE drives that I tried. I backup my WB_OS3.2 and my Work to a CD a good way to make a more secure backup. It will work with CD-R/W and with CD erasable as well. My system is A3000T MK2 68060-50 with 56megs of ram. I have DOpus on the WB partition and can use it to transfer the file to the proper partitions. After installing a new drive and installing DVD drive.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.