BigRam 256MB+ and Amiga3000D 3.2.1 / setpatch crash

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi guys,

Just received my BigRam+ 256MB card, and enthusiastically installed it in my A3000D (68030-25Mhz unmodified other than Buster11 and latest Scsi module, 8MB onboard zip DRam) with superkickstart 3.2.1 and AmigaOs 3.2.1 freshly installed.

Boots fine without the BigRam+ card in.

With the BigRam+ installed (in any zIII slot), my startup sequence freezes on the SetPatch command early on.

If I skip SetPatch (in trace mode), the amiga boots up ok and the memory shows up fine!

Although I get a warning om the command Cpu CHECKINSTALL a few steps later in the startup sequence, that says "the 68030 library is missing, leading to instability and caching issues".

If I type CPU in a shell after boot, it shows the processor as 68030 68882... (with no mention of MMU)

Setpatch is the latest one installed by the 3.2.1 installer I suspect, v47.5 - and it lists a few things like the 68030 support code which could explain why it complains about missing lib and MMU? (odd, as I have the 68030 library in LIBS:)

Otherwise seems stable, copied like 200MB from DH0: to Ram: with no problem.

So the card hardware-wise seems ok, and compatible with my 8MB zip Ram on motherboard? (no mix with static column or anything like that)

If I remove the BigRam+ card, Amiga starts up as usual again, and setpatch loads fine, Cpu checkinstall has no warning, and if I type CPU I get the full 68030 68882 68030-MMU.

Any ideas?

Do I really need Setpatch with such recent Roms installed? (3.2.1)

And if not, how to enable MMU/remove this cpu checkinstall worrying warning? (knowing I do have a 68030 library in the LIBS folder, not sure why it complains there isn't)

Cheers!

JBB ?(

• Just to add to this, I also bought an XSurf-100 zorroIII which works fine, so it's really some kind of BigRam+256 incompatibility with the setpatch 47.5 in workbench3.2.1!

Suggestions welcome!

• Thanks for reporting back that you got it tol work. However, the solution to revert to an older version indicates that it's something that you should report to the OS3.2 team (Hyperion), not here. We're developing for Kick/OS 3.1 and lower, but for anything higher, Hyperion is your first port of call.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.