What is the maximum drive size?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • When using Kickstart/Workbench v3.2.1, what is the maximum size drive the Buddha IDE controller (20 year Anniversary Edition) can properly recognize/use?

Is it 4gb? 128gb? Can larger drives be used if WB 3.2.1 is what's installed?

• OS3.2 uses 64-bit addressing, so "a few Exabytes" in theory, but LBA48 is limiting it to 2 to the 48 times 512 bytes, so the actual limit is 128 PiB. PFS3 might needs lots of buffers to mount such a partition, so you may need extra RAM. And a few years until you can actually buy that size of drive :-)

• Not correct - the practical limit is RAM buffers needed to mount large partitions. So if you're planning to use the Buddha in an otherwise-unexpanded A2000 (which has 1M memory only), I personally wouldn't go beyond 1G media capacity (which is still plenty for an Amiga).

If you have an accelerator with lots of memory, there's no practical size limit.

• I have a 4Gb CompactFlash card I plan on using. And, I purchased a BigRamPlus, so I hope I’m good on memory.

For future reference, in case I swap drives, how do I calculate the amount of memory needed for the new drives RAM buffers?

• For future reference, in case I swap drives, how do I calculate the amount of memory needed for the new drives RAM buffers?

That's something we're still trying to figure out - we have a current support case on the ACA500plus where partitioning and mounting a large partition failt, but that's while other memory-intensive things are happening (few hundred k free only in that situation). If you have a BigRamPlus on the way, it's pretty safe to assume that you'll be good for the forseeable future.

• Jens

I'm back! My wife passed away in July and not been on the forum.

I finally was able to get my A3000D booting up and install my Buddha on it to install OS3.5 CD on it. I formatted my 500mb SCSI drive and used the Buddha to install the OS using an IDE CD/DVD drive. All went great. I am planning to buy another Buddha from iComp and does the Buddha come with kickstart 3.2? It doesn't state that on the web site. The buddha is working great, I did have problems with the IDE cables and replaced two with new cables and now the drives that I thought were bad work great.

Frank

• Sincere condolences for your loss.

does the Buddha come with kickstart 3.2?

No, neither Kickstart, nor the 3.2 version of the OS is part of the package - only the classic versions 1.3, 2.1 and 3.1 are. We do sell the 3.2 CDs, so you can save on shipping if you order both.

Jens

• For your information, thanks mainly to your feedback, we have improved the software package, out-of-the-box CD support, and installing e.g. OS3.2 from CD. We really hope it works better this time.

• I installed the IDE to SD adapter on my A1200 that gave me an IDE port to add an IDE CD/DVD drive, but I needed to upgrade my 2.x roms so I ordered 3.2.1 roms. I have OS3.2 CD that I Installed on my A3000T. I may be buying another Buddha in the future for the A3000D. I hope the new one works better that the "Buddha from hell" that I bought from you for my A3000T! It's been working great since I resoldered a few connections.

The only problem with my A3000D is the video on the DB23 using the VGA adapter works fine, nice clear picture. The VGA port I get clear video but has noise in it jagged lines and the scan doubler doesn't work. I understand that the problem may be the blue trimmer capacitor, can you confirm this?

• on my A1200

and...

but I needed to upgrade my 2.x roms

There has never been a 2.0 ROM for the A1200. The early boards have been shipped with 3.0, later boards with 3.1. All of them are fine for pretty much anything we make.

The only problem with my A3000D is the video on the DB23 using the VGA adapter works fine, nice clear picture. The VGA port I get clear video but has noise in it jagged lines and the scan doubler doesn't work. I understand that the problem may be the blue trimmer capacitor, can you confirm this?

The A3000D has a rechargeable battery on the main board that might have leaked. This usually damages the flicker fixer parts that are near this (field and line memories, but also the PLL). The nasty part is that traces will be damaged in a way that you have a really hard time to see or measure their proper function. A lot of customers therefore use an Indivision ECS in the A3000D when that happened, because repairing a leaked-battery damage is a weeks-long process with unknown outcome.

The on-board flicker fixer of the A3000 has a lot of limitations that Indivision ECS does not have. Maybe for Xmas this year :-)?

• Jens, Oops I hit the wrong key, the 1200 does have 3.0 roms not 2.0 that why I ordered 3.2 roms. I downloaded the schematic for the 3000D, I was using the 3000T schematic now I will be able to find the problem with the PLL. Thanks for the info on the 3000D issues and will look in to the ECS.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.