AMITCP

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I am trying to use Amitcp (just bought) on my pistorm but despite it saying "online" there is no traffic. I used roadshow and it works fine, but if I have to spend money I prefer to support my favourite company. This version is different from the amitcp 3.0b2 so the pistorm online guide can't help me configure and the internal manual of the icomp amictp is obscure to me.

I have uninstalled roadshow and installed Amitcp to avoid any possible conflict.

I also added the line " a314 dev=devs:a314eth.device unit=0" to the file interfaces in dir amitcp/db/

Any help will be very appreciated

Kind regards

• I'm sorry, but we can't provide support for hardware that we don't make or sell. The AmiTCP isntall disk contains known-good combinations of device drivers, but you're mixing up things that we don't even have a chance to test.

So any support must be considered voluntary, not accepting a legal obligation and subject to be cross-checked with documentation of your hardware. We can't possibly know if the a314eth.device is according to spec (and even if it's open-source, I won't have my employees check if it's error-free).

Our GUI will default to getting an IP address with DHCP. If it says "online", it will surely display these values. Do these make any sense?

• Hi Jens, I know that it is unknown hardware and I will never ask to waste time on such things. I ask If there is any suggestion in how to use this software on other Hw like using it on my A1200 and a pcmcia net card or everything else amiga related. All that comes with a XXXXeth.device.

Of course, any suggestion will be taken with reliability free, just an informative suggestion, not support.

Kind regards

• Thanks for confirming :-)

Please take a look at the last line of my posting: The output of the GUI after saying "online" is most interesting - if we have that, we can make an educated guess about what goes wrong.

• Hi, thanks.

Using dhcp mode the icon says "offline!?" empty fields on the network configuration window

If I set the IP manually the icon says "online" but no navigation, trying pinging the default gateway I got no output from ping, it doesn't say if the packet is lost or no answer, just noting. I have made a configuration mistake, but I don't know where.

• You'll have to educate me how the a314eth.device is supposed to work: Does it support the whole command set of a sana2 device, or are you supposed to set the same IP address/gateway in the RPi? I mean, the RPi is still running a Linux and a local TCP/IP stack, isn't it? If so, the a314eth.device is probably virtual and will be routed by the RPi - this route needs to be open, otherwise the Amiga will be locked out.

If you have shell access on the RPi, please execute the "ifconfig" command to find out what the local network is configured to.

• Hi, Jens. You are great.

Just two words and you gave me the path to find the solution. ^^

So, I suppose it works like that. To my best knowledge, using the suite created for a314 (another way to use a raspberry to expand an Amiga) you put the interface tap0 in interfaces.d and then you instruct linux to nat the traffic on the tap0 to the ethernet or wifi of the pi. Tap0, using some python programs, is the interface between the two worlds. But it is all transparent. A314.device act exactly like any other network device SANA II. So I looked inside the tap0 and I find out that the bridge is created using 192.168.2.x, where tap0 is 192.168.2.1 and it expects to communicate with 192.168.2.2.

The DHCP in AMITCP will never work because seems that this bridge doesn't provide any dhcp server. So to make it works I did the following:

- Prepare the Pistorm for networking

- Install IComp Amitcp

- copy in devs a314.device and a314eth.device (probably redundant)

- copy a314eth.device in AMITCP/devs/interface

- edit AMITCP/db/interfaces and add the line: a314 DEV=Devs:networks/a314eth.device Unit=0

- Using the window of AMITCP network configuration set the values:

- Type static

- address 192.168.2.2

- netmask 255.255.255.0

- gateway 192.168.2.1

- dns1 8.8.8.8 or what you use

- it is optional

- domain: local

- press save

This worked for me.

Thank you for your time.

I hope to see some new professionally made hardware soon. Those stuff are fun but in my Amigas I like to have reliable HW.

Best regards

• The interfaces file is probably trivial, but the config files on the RPi are probably not that simple - if you can post those, that would be great. This forum allows uploading attachments.

• Normally there's no other config needed. It's really just copying the device driver to AmiTCP:Devs/ and adding an appropriate line to AmiTCP:db/interfaces. All other AmITCP config files are managed by the Network tool automatically.

If settings were not saved before, there's even a chance that the Network tool probes the known interfaces until it finds one that works. In the Advanced Settings window (or in the Network icon tooltype INTERFACE=...) the interface can be specified.

• I suppose that the list I made covers all that is needed to make IComp AMITCP work. The PIStorm guide covers only RoadShow and amitcp 3.0b2 which have a different configuration structure. Difficult to understand for non-expert users like me.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.