A2630 + Big ram + 50mhz FPU ok?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Just did a quick check on my 2630: You should get a resistance of around 100 ohms between GND and VCC, so you are really looking for a short between the power rails on your card.

• interesting. ok thank you for that! this helps a lot. can you imagine any ways that removing the ram could impact the power rails?

also, just to be clear, by power rails do you mean the pins the card connects too? the "teeth" that slide into the motherboard?

• "Power rail" would be GND and VCC. GND is "everything minus", including the screw of the metal back plate. VCC is the 5V rail that goes to all active parts of the card. The "teeth" are called "card edge".

Since this is a multi-layer card that has the power distribution layers outside, you may be looking for a short between the top and bottom layer, which might be caused by ripping out one of the RAM chips too fast, by over-tightening a screw or a simple solder whisker between a GND/VCC pin and one of the power layers.

Can't say off the top of my head if top or bottom is GND, but from the position of the screw in your video, I'd expect top to be GND and bottom to be Vcc. Still, the whisker may be on either side, and it may be in a totally different position (nowhere near the RAM), as a blob of solder might have dropped anywhere on the board while you worked on it.

• OK that's a big help. Thanks Jens! it's on it's way to Rod down in Florida. He's got some respectable commodore tech support experience (used to work for commodore fixing amigas) and he's done some impressive restorations of systems so I hope he can help spot it.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.