X-Surf 500 on ACA500+ with ACA1234 running OS3.2 built-in network installer fails

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Okay, it sounds like you confirm that the X-Surf-500 installer is NOT compatible with an AmigaOS 3.2 install when using AmigaOS 3.2 KS ROMs, which would be a proper AmigaOS 3.2 install.

And the fix for installing network to an AmigaOS 3.2 system is to install the drivers manually, per the beginning of this thread.

Perhaps later the AmigaOS devs will investigate and make changes, but that is outside the scope of the individual iComp customer or iComp itself. We just make the computers work and last as best we can.

All is good.

oh, just got the 3.2.1 KS update message, I will try that.

• I installed the KS 3.2.1 ROM file to see if this would help.

Power on, F7, F5, it unpacks the files and it still drops me off at the "LoadModule failed return code 10" error

When I got dropped off at the "LoadModule failed return code 10" error

I thought to type 'version'

It is showing:

"Kickstart 40.63, Workbench 47.3"

It seems, that the network install script is auto-picking the built-in KS 3.1 instead of my KS 3.2 (slot 1) or KS 3.2.1 (slot 3) files

Just thought I'd mention this...

I also tried:

Power on, F10, W,W,W,W,W, until "Net Install" appears as Virtual disk, then press Enter

The Network files unpack,

My Workbench loads normally,

There is now a mounted virtual floppy with the "InstallNetwork" label

And the files I need to install manually are there waiting for me.

That makes it easier than downloading the files from my account.

• It seems, that the network install script is auto-picking the built-in KS 3.1 instead of my KS 3.2 (slot 1) or KS 3.2.1 (slot 3) files

Just thought I'd mention this...

Toni and I already eMailed about this over the course of the week. The most important takeaway from these eMails is that I was wrong about the use of the network install disk in the ACA500plus: It's not a bootable disk, but one that is supposed to be mounted with an extremely low boot prio, so you really launch into your normal WB setup. This supports the install script, which will have an easier time to identify your boot partition and do changes in your startup-sequence.

The network install disk has an additional use as bootable disk: You can really launch AmiTCP from it, and download files from the iComp server, or some other source - all without altering the existing installation. If you want to install AmiTCP from this disk to a HD, you should NOT boot from the install disk - this is where I had a twist in my brain :-)

There is no really easy way to find out if an ACA500plus flash slot contains the "best" or "highest" kickstart. It probably comes down to adding a flag that you can set when flashing a Kickstart ROM that says "I'm the preferred one". This would then be chosen if you press F1, or if you launch one the network installer.

A different solution would be to always choose a certain profile# and add the network install disk with a negative boot prio. Again, we need to discuss this to come up with a "mostly universal" solution. For example, when launching the OS3.1 installer, it makes most sense to use KS3.1, not the "preferred" one or a pre-set profile, as the latter most likely does not exist yet. So we've got some homework to do, and while things are not completely solved, any input is certainly welcome.

• For me...for now...it works

The easiest fix might be to change nothing but the install instructions:

AmigaOS 3.1:

Insert boot disk in first CF slot,

Power on,

Press F7,
    Press F5,

Enjoy

Everyone Else:

Insert boot disk in first CF slot,

Power on,

Press F10,

Press W,W,W,W,W, until "Net Install" appears as Virtual disk

Press Enter

The Network files will unpack,

Your Workbench loads as normal,

There is now a mounted virtual floppy with the "InstallNetwork" label

Open it up and run the install file

Enjoy

I speak only for myself of course,

but I don't mind a few more steps in an install sequence, as long as they are clearly documented

• What ljmarent is saying 100% works for 3.2. This is exactly what I did.

I don't understand why anyone would want to boot from the virtual floppy or why that option is there in the first place?

• why that option is there in the first place?

It's for "install from network" operations. If you're completely without any boot media, you can launch this disk and get your computer on the net. Note that we also offer this disk as a paid download. It's been developed with multiple use cases in mind.

• Consider this a software bug. I have exactly the same problem. You can boot your computer with Kickstart 3.2, but it must be the first OS 3.1 on the CF card and there must be no Turbo card installed. This will not work for a network installation on OS3.2.

• If you are bringing up a 7-month old thread with multiplepeople having posted before you (and obviously finding solutions), you need to provide more context for calling anything a bug. The network install disk has been free of any bug report since it's last update in June 2022. If you want to report anything now, please describe your setup and an exact way to reproduce what you belive is a bug.

Jens