P96 v3.2.3 and Native Chipset Driver issues...

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Morning all,

Apologies for posting this previously in the wrong thread...

I've updated the version of P96 from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 on one of my A1200s which doesn't have an RTG in it but does have Thor's native chipset driver (v40.5) installed, and now if I try to use any of the dblPAL or dblNTSC modes, the screen goes narrow and weird, starts rolling like it's lost vsync, and the mouse pointer disappears. When I revert back to version 3.2.2 of P96 all seems okay again, so I *think* there must be some sort of incompatability between the two. I don't have anything else like fblit or similar installed, only P96 and the native driver. I do have the VGA only monitor in the devs/monitors directory, as this seemed to change the timings of screen output slightly, and made it easier for me to arrange and scale the output of my Indivision Mk3 AGA to my monitor.

I'll carry on testing today to try and figure out what's going on and report back but is anyone else able to check and see if it also happens for them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Hi,
    I've done some more checking this evening with just the base AmigaOS 3.2.1, P96 3.2.3 and the Native Chipset driver installed, there's no other software installed at all, and it is still happening.
    If I either remove the Native driver, or install P96 3.2.2 instead then the problem is corrected but as soon as I have both present the display goes a bit crazy when I switch to any display mode which has a greater than 15kHz horizontal display rate.

DBLPAL, HD720 and Xtreme are particularly bad, displaying rolling, and screen aspect problems over the top of the previous screen mode - with the screen squashed into the left side of the monitor display, and no pointer movement.

DBLNTSC and HighGfx show just the screen aspect ratio issues but with some display modes, only displaying half of the vertical lines so the pixels look chunky.

Some of the modes are also showing interlace line flicker, as if the amiga was running in interlaced mode but the output is coming via the installed Indivision Mk3s digital video out so these should not be visible and are not normally.

Is it possible this is all actually working but something is different in the data stream which the IndiMk3 is snooping and that's confusing the heck out it? Again, all of this only happens when P96 3.2.3 and the Native driver are both installed and active.

• Thanks for sending the P96 Beta version. I've just installed it directly on top of my working P96 3.2.2 install and tried it out.

With the new P96 version, instead of the various screen changing interlace artifacts, rolling etc. the display update now seems to freeze completely for any non-15kHz modes regardless of DBLPAL, DBLNTSC, HD720, HiGfx, Xtreme etc. The Indivision AGA Mk3 OSD pops up and reports the vertical refresh rate as 0Hz. So the behaviour has changed but I am sorry to say not yet for the better.

I cannot tell if the display output from Lisa has really stopped completely, or if it is somehow outputting something that is confusing the Indivision's input stage. In case it's relevant, the Amiga's Paula audio output continues to work via the digital out of the indivision, even while the screen is frozen, so other parts of the system are working as they should as far as I can tell.

• I dont think it is just you, no.

Here using A4000 desktop csmk2 PiccoloSD64 os3.2 I see something similar after having updated to P96 v3.2.3.

The system grinds to a halt, floppy even stops the no disk inserted seeking, when testing dbl and multiscan modes in the systems screenmode prefs app.

Reverting to P96 v3.2.2 solves the issue.

-gandalf

• Thor sent me a version for testing, but I am deep in tax declaration work that needs to be completed in time. Please push me again by the end of next week.

• Hi Jens,

Good news! The new version P96 you sent today, which contains rtg.library v42.1207 (03/02/22), did not fix the native screen mode issues for me on its own but when combined with the even newer rtg.library v42.1216 (09/02/22) you also sent, all problems seem fixed so far with DBL_PAL and all other native non-15kHz modes. :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.