Chameleon C64Core in StandAlone vs. Real C64

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I am just wondering if there exists some kind of a overview of the TC64 C64Core and its capabilities when it comes to compatibility with the VIC demo effects and the SID emulation when the TC64 is running in standalone mode --- compared to a real C64.

Maybe some side-by side Youtube videos that shows off the TC64 standalone mode Core on certain demanding demos, and compared with real C64 HW.

It would be cool to dig deep on this to know which effects are supported and which are not. The reason I ask is to know more of what to expect since I will

mainly run my TC64 in standalone mode for now, and I am a demo-geek and hope to be able to see news with "all" the demo effects intact :-)

If someone have a nice videolink or wanna create one (side by side split screen in youtube) then I would love to see them.

Espen

• There is a table in the wiki here. As for Demos, you can expect "most" stuff to work. One or two very specific VICII tricks are still broken, at the bottom of the page are some examples.

As for videos... i am sorry, its simply too much work (for me) to make them and keep them updated. I like to focus on testing and fixing bugs instead :)

• I did not catch the section on the wiki. Thanks -- I will look at it right away. The video question was merely to her if someone already had some links to some tests which were already made, and just share the links (not make new video :) )

• Tobias: The Core bug page claims to be updated early 2018 (see bottom of the page) if I remember right. Does this mean that the newly released c64core has solved more than the page reports as bugs when it was last updated ?

Or -- is it just the footer of the page which hasn't been touched ? :)

• I am just right now working on getting new test results into the wiki... the changes arent THAT much however (some CIA tests work now). Since we are approaching the last few percent now, progress is slow :)

• You guys did a fantastic job on the cartridge and I can happily wait for the last 5% :-) I would actually be more happy with HW changes in a V3 than the last 5% being fixed :) My wish list is a new docking station which is inside a case so that when the cartirdge slides inside, it creates a complete box with all the outlets on the sides. Plus USB ports for kbd+mouse and a larger fpga for larger cores (primarily aga amiga core).

But for now, I will enjoy V2 until that V3 is made ;-) Hehe.....

Speaking of V2 -- when is shipping-date og pre-paid V2's ?

• that hardware upgrade you are talking of will basically become the C64RMK3 :)

shipping will start on 31st... *afaik*

Will you make the motherboard the same as the last version for a direct physical fit in the breadbox? It would be SUPER COOL if the ReloadedMK3 would be just a small board but with a IO connector to break out the userport,cassport,iec,cartridgeport,joyports,etc so that the user can also mount this inside a custom case and then you can sell a standalone connector-board which hooks up to the MK3 board IO connector and the connector-board is just a small PCB-strip with all the connector so that the user can screw that to the existing holes in a breadboard box to get the connectors.

For me -- I want your board -- but I don't want it because it is the same size as the original PCB: hence, I cannot retrofit it into smaller case (e.g. a rebuilt laptop case).

...well, that is just my two cents :-)

• Will you make the motherboard the same as the last version for a direct physical fit in the breadbox? It would be SUPER COOL if the ReloadedMK3 would be just a small board but with a IO connector to break out the userport,cassport,iec,cartridgeport,joyports,etc so that the user can also mount this inside a custom case and then you can sell a standalone connector-board which hooks up to the MK3 board IO connector and the connector-board is just a small PCB-strip with all the connector so that the user can screw that to the existing holes in a breadboard box to get the connectors.

For me -- I want your board -- but I don't want it because it is the same size as the original PCB: hence, I cannot retrofit it into smaller case (e.g. a rebuilt laptop case).

...well, that is just my two cents :-)

That would be a hell of an IO connector! 24 for userport, 20+ for keyboard and joystick, What is the cartridge port again? 42 something. With the remaining IO that is over 100 lines. Then you get the complexity of something like USB or HDMI or other modern stuff that will throw on mk3. Those are picky from a signal integrity point so you can't use a edge connector. It needs to be some proper connector. That is not something you can easily solder yourself for a custom laptop case.

Ofcourse it is something we discussed internally already, mostly due to the cost of a big multilayer breadboard motherboard, but even if we split it up into "brains" and a I/O board I'm not sure you could use the "brains" without the mainboard as it might have things like power supply etc.

• yes -- that is one mother of a connector. But you got my point ... to have mainboard + connectorboard :) I am a sucker for small footprint-solutions (hence why i bought the tc64) so I can't have a breadbin anymore. But I love the hunt for new releases and solutions. I think 2015-> has seen an insane rise in HW-development for the C= machines. It's freakin fantastic :-)

I am sure you guys come up with something genius so I am l looking forward to seeing the news about it in the future.

• The Reloaded MK3 will be split into a 2-leyer and a 4-layer section, but both will have "some intelligence" on them, which results in "one will not work without the other". As for smaller-footprint solutions, these will have to be discussed when the MK3 development is there. It's "one thing at a time" here, wher each thing should be completed before we think about changes. There MUST be a feature-freeze in order to allow production and paying for all the development cost.

• Fully understand the freeze.I think it is important that you clearly state before the community what the goal for the Reloaded MK3 is as there is more and more people gathering in the Ultimate64 camp. I know the difference -- but it's always up to the demand of the market to decide what is considered overlapping products and what is unique.

The think I am getting at is that the Ultimate64 is doomed as a direct PCB replacement and therefore has its limitations physically speaking. So, my (as a potential customer) wish is that your product R-MK3 aims to cover more ground in terms of where one can mount and use it.

I am really looking forward to reading about the MK3's feature and what to expect when you are ready to flag it to the community.

My wish list is to have a board which at least has a SID socket but also has all TC64-stuff onboard. Kind of a franken-board that takes the best from what we can expect from a U64 board -- but adds all the things we wish it had.

I am just throwing things out here.... disregard any foolish thoughts or ideas hehe :-D

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.