Multiview SCREEN freeze/mem corruption with Picasso96 3.2.2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I can reproduce the issue when I use OS3.9 installation + P96 3.2.2 with WinUAE (1920x1080 Zorro 3 gfx board emulation), and Multiview SCREEN <picname> to open these pics: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goZj9zBuxX7gqAE5PA?e=7PLsUG

Can't see mouse and RMB to open menu won't work: the screen frame is freezed (I can still quit with the default Multiview key 'Q' though). Winuaeenforcer hits with wild read/writes can also occur.

datatypes.library 44.47 (25-Dic-1999)

picture.datatype 45.17 (19-Mar-2002)

Note: if I boot keeping RMB pressed to skip Picasso96/uaegfx monitor driver initialization thus forcing WB3.9 to boot in simple AGA mode I can't reproduce the issue of course and the pics have no issue when I switch WB window/Multiview own screen.

P.S.

If you can't reproduce it, try first to open pictures in a window with Multiview on Workbench (24/32bit) and then select menu option to move on its own screen.

• Tested with old picture.dt from P96 archive on Aminet:

picture.datatype 43.41 (20-Dic-1998)

and Multiview SCREEN/window switches fine. This picture.dt is unusable on modern systems though and have issues with clipoboard copy too (e.g. using sytem IconEditor's copy and paste clipboard), so it's not a valid workaround :(

• Forgot to tell I use akPNG and akGIF dts...

EDIT: actually, changing datatypes to ZGIF (gif.datatype 39.18 (30-Mar-1996)) and Cloanto© PNG DataType 43.3 (16-Dic-1995) solves the issue with Multiview!

• Ok but consider many users have this or similar DTs (not much choice from Aminet), so a wider compatibility would be appreciated (given the DT is not the only responsible for this issue at least and assuming something could be improved in P96 under this aspect... ;-) ).

• Forgot to tell I use akPNG and akGIF dts...

EDIT: actually, changing datatypes to ZGIF (gif.datatype 39.18 (30-Mar-1996)) and Cloanto© PNG DataType 43.3 (16-Dic-1995) solves the issue with Multiview!

Just as a myself reminder in this thread ;) Cloanto PNG dt has stack shortage issues. vPNG from Aminet is working fine and has no issues with Multiview + P96 RTG.

• Had a chat with Thor yesterday, and he said that the version numbers/dates you gave for the non-working datatypes don't add up. He cleaned up the datatypes for the 3.1.4 release, and those have different version numbers and dates from the ones you quote, so the question is: Where did you dig up those? Please make sure to use the binaries from the OS3.1.4 or the OS3.2+ packages.

• OS3.2 has its own PNG and GIF native dts (and can't replicate the issue there as I just tested). OS3.1.4 from my basic install has no PNG and GIF included (as well as for the oldie OS3.9). In my first post I specified my main system is OS3.9-based... that's why I was using akGIF and akPNG dts from Aminet where I faced the issue with Multiview SCREEN in conjunction with P96 RTG (and couldn't reproduce it disabling 'uaegfx' monitor + P96 and Zorro 3 emulated gfx board).

You can replicate the issue trying to open with Multiview (and switch to its own fullscreen) these TIFF files: TIFF Files (sc.edu) using akTIFF from Aminet... on OS3.9.

P.S.: OS3.2 and its Multiview 47.x version works fine instead even with akTIFF dt, just tested! I think this will finally push me to definitely switch to 3.2 as my main (emulated) Amiga system and upgrade my rusty OS3.9 ;-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.