New MK2 - works great - but doesn't like CPU

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi All,

I received a brand new MK2 to start 2022, plugged in chips, and powered up using the icomp power supply. Everything works great, but the Diagnose LED keeps blinking. Connecting via USB and using serial port connection, I can see:

Error: CPU is not recognized, check U7
    VIC-II: 6567 (B9 4D 9880 NTSC)

SID 1 : 6581 (9B C9)

SID 2 : Unknown (0000)

MCU : 20180227

READY (press key for menu)

I've tested with 2 different CPUs:

MOS, 6510 CBM, 4983

MOS, 6510 CBM, 1583

Everything seems to work great when using the MK2 with both of the above CPUs. Placing both CPUs in other C64s (before and after using in MK2) results in happy, working machines.

Curious if anyone else has run into this or has recommendations for other tests I should do. Any way to see move verbose error on the CPU check?

Thank you, Chris

• Sounds like a simple contact problem. Please try to move the chip sideways while the socket is closed (lever down). This will scratch the pins against the socket's contacts and remove oxide that may cause the CPU to not be recognized.

• I tried a third, working 6510 cpu. The MK2 board works great, but the diagnosis light continues flashing and the serial connection still informs me to check U7. Next, I took the cleanest of the three cpus and did the suggested scratch maneuver, but the board's diagnosis light continued blinking. Then, I gave the chip's pins a bath in DeoxIT D5, but sadly the board still doesn't like the cpu.

Aside from the flashing diagnosis light, everything I've done with the MK2 works perfectly (keyboard, cartridge, A/V port, userport). I'm just going to continue using it as my primary machine. If any functionality beyond diagnosis ever does fail for me, I'll let you know. Also, if I do find something that causes the diagnosis check to start liking my 6510's, I'll of course share my findings here.

Thank you for the above suggestion and thank you so much for making these very cool MK2s.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.