P96 on DraCo Macrosystem

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Amiga fans,

i would like to ask you, i bought DraCo this year. Its

possible to install new P96 drivers for his "altais" gfx card ?

I tried, but DraCo freezed and monitor switched off with "no signal"

message. Have anybody experience with DraCo ? (i have OS 3.9 there)

Thank you, Milan.

• We neither have a Draco, nor an Altais card for testing. Searching for these Macrosystem cards, I found that there are supposedly two versions of the Altais card, one with a "plus" extension, using an S3 Trio64 chip. Not sure if this was mass-produced.

I'll dig to see if we even have a chance to support one of these cards. It's all down to documentation and available source codes.

• Yes, only first Altais (without plus) is supported by P96. And in documentation for last Picasso96 (aminet) there ist comment about DraCo, that Altais card is fully supported. But not working for me, so i dont know...

• The way that P96 works is that there is a card driver and a chip driver. The card driver will do the higher-level Autoconfig stuff (search for the card) and then load the chip driver with the right parameters. This means that the same chip driver can be used for different cards.

The Altais card uses the NCR77C32 chip, which was also used on Retina Z3 (coincidently, also from Macro System). We do have the driver for Retina, hence the step towards Altais is a small one. The card driver is there, but largely untested. Definitely not in the past five years.

Now that we have the CV64 driver, it should be pretty easy to make a card driver for the Altais Plus card, as the chip driver for S3 is already there. The question remains: Has Altais Plus ever been mass-produced? Are Autoconfig IDs and memory maps known?

Again, we don't have any test system, and the current driver just freezing is not a good starting point. Please double-check: Is your card really the older "Altais" card, not the "plus" version? Did you maybe mix an older version of P96 with the current version?

• One thought: Since Draco does not have any "native modes", you should set the tooltype "FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes" in the monitor driver, otherwise you'll only see a black screen. Maybe this is what you're seeing? Just a black screen, but computer still running, and you've mistaken it for being frozen?

• Yes. Today i tried clean install of Picasso98 (version ´99 from Aminet), Draco Altais is working. But when i tried update to P96 (newest install, or just copy rtg.library) screen is black with "no signal". So i think new rtg.library is not compatible with Draco gfx card...

• Again, double-check the "FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes" setting. The new P96 attempts to keep the chipset alive (allowing a semi-dual-screen setup), and this may break on a Draco.

• I have sent you an eMail with a beta version of the rtg library. That one has the copper list patch for LoadView removed - this may or may not fix it for Draco systems: Please report back.

• Thank you for mail. So i update old picasso with new P96 from January 2022, copied new rtg.library but same problem. No signal. When i copied back rtg.library from old picasso96, picture is visible and clear. Everything working fine. So problem is only in this file...

• Please check your e-mail: I Have sent you an archive with previous releases of rtg.library. We need your help in finding the version that introduced the problem, as only that will give us a hint about which part of the lib is causing the problem.

• Thanks a lot for your patience - I know it's really tedious if we have to take these baby-steps, but it's not possible any other way while we don't have any test system. Appreciate your help in testing this!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.