X-surf-100 and 4000D/040

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • As I bought some while ago an x-surf-100 with the rapidroad module, I finaly could set it up, because my 4000 was for a recap.

I use Roadshow to establish an internet connection.

First question: is it common that x-surf-100 wont work on Z3? When i start it up without the Z2 jumper, I get a guru and the system restarts over and over. With the jumper set on Z2, the card is online and xsurftest shows that the card is working.

Second question: How can I start the Rapidroad automaticly so I don't have to start Trident before using a mouse? I know it should work, because the Rapidroad in my 1200 does it well.

BTW, Roadshow is somewhat difficult to setup, but when it is setup, it works like a charm:)

• First question: is it common that x-surf-100 wont work on Z3?

No. The X-Surf-100 is a Z3 card with a fallback to Z2. What you're describing sounds like you either have a *very* old Buster chip, an overclocked Zorro bus, or another Z3 card that is not fully compliant with the specs. Merlin and Mediator come to mind...

If I got your description wrong and the Guru only shows when launching the network drivers, then you might just be looking at an MMU problem. Please isntall Thor's MMU libs, and the latest X-Surf-100 drivers will poke the reuired holes into the MMU table.

Second question: How can I start the Rapidroad automaticly so I don't have to start Trident before using a mouse? I know it should work, because the Rapidroad in my 1200 does it well.

I'd try WBStartup if you're not the type of person that edits the startup-sequence or user-startup.

• thx for the reply.

First best wishes for 2022 and A happy new year.

The guru does come also when start the usb drivers, so I think I’ll have to look at the buster.

The only card at this moment that is stacked with the surf into the standard daughterboard is a Catweasel flipper 3.

For the second question, I don’t mind to edit startup-sequence or user-startup, but I don’t know witch line to add. My 1200 was pre-installed.

• You're confusing me - this support thread is about an A4000, yet you mention that "the 1200 was pre-installed". Does that mean you took the A1200 install and copied it over to the 4000? In that case, all the 040-related stuff is missing, and if you didn't even make a fresh download of the drivers, you are most likely to have old versions installed.

Please make sure to update all drivers - both for X-Surf-100 and RapidRoad - to the latest ones available in our Wiki. These make use of mmu library (if available) to poke a "required hole" into the setup to gain access to the hardware without the MMU complaining. My working assumption here is that you don't have an MMU in use on your A1200.

• No no. The 1200 does have the RapidRoad installed. This means that this one works with startup. I did not copy anything.

My 4000 is a clean setup with 3.1 OS. Downloaded the last Poseidon from your site and the latest drivers for the x-surf-100.

Again, it is working like a charm, but only in z2 mode.

The buster is a version 11.

Does the cpu card have something to do with it? Its an A3640.

• The CPU card can have an influence, if the MMU setup isn't done right or the bus is overclocked. Note that there is a driver in the Wiki that specifically mentions being an update that uses Thor's MMU library to gain access to the hardware. You can find Thor's MMU libs on Aminet.

Also, the 3640 gets it's clock from the main board. If you have overclocked it, you have overclocked the Z3 bus at the same time, which will not work with the X-Surf-100. Please double-check that all mainboard jumpers are set correctly for 25MHz operation of the 3640.

Buster-11 should work normally - it's the latest the Commodore has published, and it's known-good with the X-Surf-100. Did you ever try cleaning the slots?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.