Support help - Amiga1200 Lyra2: configuration with standard PS2 keyboards and usage of A200,A3000 and A4000 keyboards?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I have a Lyra2; which I have been using with my Amiga1200 since the original keyboard broke.

I then moved the A1200 mainboard in a PC case, so now I have a tower; although I would like to use a different keyboard, but the one I have does not have the second Windows key on the right; so I cannot reset the computer using my new keyboard.

Is there any utility for the Lyra2 that allow me to change what key is associated with the Amiga keys, so for example I can press INS or END and have it act like if I was pressing the right Amiga key, or the right CTRL key?

If that is not possible, can I use one of the other "boxed" Amiga keyboards, like the A2000, A3000 or A4000 keyboards with the Lyra 2? They are quite expensive and rare, so before going that route I would rather try to solve the issue by re-assigning keys on a standard PC PS2 keyboard. But if all fail, then I would at least use a keyboard that is the actual Amiga keyboard with my tower A1200.

And yes, I am aware you have the Lyra3 for sale; but I would rather continue to use the Lyra2; paid quite a premium for it :)

Thanks.

• Is there any utility for the Lyra2 that allow me to change what key is associated with the Amiga keys, so for example I can press INS or END and have it act like if I was pressing the right Amiga key, or the right CTRL key?

Lyra2 does not offer that level of re-mapping. However, you can swap ALT and Windows keys with Lyra2: Press L-Shift and Pause, then F3. This will make the two ALT keys your "Amiga" keys, and I'm pretty sure you can live without the right ALT key :-)

I would rather continue to use the Lyra2; paid quite a premium for it

I'm more than happy if the old hardware gets continued use. Pretty sure that you won't need a new adatper!

• Thanks Jens; so the Lyra2 basically does not allow to change the actual keycodes sent. I hoped that being based on a programmable micro-controller; there was a way to modify its firmware to remap the keys from a PS2 keyboard.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I am bound to find a full size keyboard with all the keys then :) And the jumper on the board need to be closed to use Amiga 2000 keyboards, right?

• Thanks Jens; so the Lyra2 basically does not allow to change the actual keycodes sent. I hoped that being based on a programmable micro-controller; there was a way to modify its firmware to remap the keys from a PS2 keyboard.

We may be able to do such a mod here, but that would cost more in shipping and labour than buying a new Lyra 3. Also, please note that Lyra2 uses a different MCU than Lyra3 - the latter has a more powerful MCU that allows storing the whole key map in EEPROM, while Lyra2 uses an older type that only has a few bytes of EEPROM, which we use for the settings.

I guess I am bound to find a full size keyboard with all the keys then :)

Really? Didn't you try the "swap ALT and Windows keys" option? That should solve your problem. And it's stored in the EEPROM of Lyra2, so you only make that setting once. It'll survive a power cycle.

And the jumper on the board need to be closed to use Amiga 2000 keyboards, right?

The Wiki page says "the other way round": Close the jumper for PS2 keyboards, open it for Amiga keyboards. Once again, try the "swap ALT and Windows keys" option, as this will cost you nothing and let you continue to use the keyboard you already have.

• Hi Jens;

I can believe it would cost a lot; shipping would make it unpractical. Although if you have the source code of the software running on the Lyra2, I could make the change myself and re-flash the EEPROM on it. I assume you don't disclose the software source code for some reason (I am not in the business of making adapters for the Amiga, I can assure you; I work as software engineer), so there is no way for me to manipulate the lookup tables.

Maybe in the future you will have a github repo where to share the firmware for your newer products; I really favor companies doing that, especially when dealing with 20+ old hardware :D

The "swap alt" feature would not do much for me, isn't it? All the smaller keyboards I own have no right Windows key; and the right ALT key seems to do nothing. Unless swapping the 2 keys would enable the ALT key as Amiga key. I can try that; great suggestion!

Also thanks for confirming that the jumper need to be open for an Amiga keyboard. I have yet to find one at a reasonable price; but it is an option eventually

• Unless swapping the 2 keys would enable the ALT key as Amiga key.

That's exactly what it does: The *two* ALT keys become the *two* Amiga keys, and the left Windows-key becoms the left ALT key. The right Windows key (which is not there on your keyboad) becomes the rarely-needed (if at all) right ALT key. I believe this is your solution.

About source code: While Lyra is an active product and "companies" (which are merely individuals with nice web pages) make a living off of other people's ideas without even giving credit, I don't like to publish my work. I do supportprojects that are already GPL, such as the VICE emulator. However, I don't see a business where I hurt myself by letting go of my competitive advantage. Even Lyra2 beats any other keyboard adapter on the market, and I only stopped making it because I didn't like the way that Microchip jacked up prices a number of times in a row. However, someone without my development cost would gladly pay more than 3 dollars for an MCU, as it would still enable them to make a keyboard adapter cheaper than Lyra 3, but with "almost" the feature set (specifically allowing to press multiple keys at the same time).

Closing the circle here: I believe you don't even need Lyra3. Save your time and money, make that "swap ALT and Windows" setting and you'll see that you have made a good choice for a keyboard adapter years ago.

• Hi Jens; sadly the trick didn't work; because the swap of the keys works for the left side but on the right side, since I have the FN key on the right of the ALT key; nothing happens.

I ended up sourcing an A3000 and I will be sharing the keyboard between the 1200 and the 3000; so I am killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thanks for your explanation about why you don't share the Lyra source code. I understand that maybe in the reality you describe; there are millions of people ready to exploit the work of others; but this world is quite far away from mine... I am in the silicon valley; and if you live and work here; having someone making a profit out of your code is not a big deal to be honest; that won't compete with the top 50 behemoths here for sure.

I can just say that I am glad that the pistorm project didn't originate in an environment where people wanted to make profit out of it; so at this stage, people with an A500 can get an accelerator at a very reasonable price, and the code is out there for anyone to make whatever change they like.

Anyway; sorry for the fluff here; I didn't mean to criticize your approach to the issue. Your stuff, your rules. Thanks and good luck!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.