Philips RGB Monitor

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question or one that has already been answered.

I wondered if its possible to connect my TC64 V2 to an old RGB CRT monitor, i have a Philips CM8833 MK2 that i used back in the day on my Amiga and C64, would this work with the right lead/adaptor?

Thanks,

• Not with the regular Chameleon core (C64) - we only support VGA right now. (It could be changed perhaps, but i dont have any suitable Monitor to even test it, maybe pwsoft can do it when he is fully back in action).

Some of the other Cores do support 15kHz RGB however.

• The only 15Khz with RGB input that I have, that could still be in working order (has been in storage for years so no idea) has scart input. So need to create a contraption to convert the 15 pin VGA connector into scart. Not high on my priority list at the moment. Once I'm back in action, I suspect I will be first put on a lot of Amiga stuff, as many items are still on the todo list from mid summer. I might be able to sneak a patch in when I work on C64 VIC-II stuff (a project like that is still in the planning some time in the future)

That said, even IF we add support in the main core, a lot of other cores will be unavailable to you when using a 15 khz monitor. Things like the VIC-20 and Atari 2600 cores don't have switchable video modes.

• You can buy that cable ready-made, too - I guess it would be bad form to link it here, but a bit of judicious googling would no doubt find it.

Most of the cores I've ported have the ability to output 15KHz video, but they default to scandoubled VGA mode. The Minimig core can save the scandoubler on-off setting as part of its configuration, but the others can't yet.

I don't think a CM8833 would appreciate being fed with a 31KHz signal.

• For the Minimig core, hold down an F key at bootup to force the screenmode:

F1 for scandoubled NTSC,

F2 for scandoubled PAL

F3 for 15KHz NTSC

F4 for 15KHz PAL

For the other cores (Atari, C16, NES, Megadrive, TurboGfx16, Master System) - hold down the menu button for a second or so to toggle the scandoubler on / off.

• I don't know for sure. I think some of the MiSTer cables have extra resistors to make sure the sync pulses aren't at anything approaching TTL level. I believe - though I'm not sure - that the CM8833 actually requires TTL sync, though.

• So my cable has arrived and it works great on the Philips, the picture quality is fantastic. however the Minimig core doesnt seem to retain the F4 setting on boot to enable the 15khz mode, am i missing something?

• So my cable has arrived and it works great on the Philips, the picture quality is fantastic. however the Minimig core doesnt seem to retain the F4 setting on boot to enable the 15khz mode, am i missing something?

That setting *should* be retained as part of a configuration file. So if you save a default config file from the OSD it should stay put.

Having said that, the config file creation is known to be buggy, especially with a crowded SD card. If you still have trouble I can send you a "blank" configuration file which has the scandoubler disabled.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.