Broken A604n

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I bought an A604n in march. Last month I started getting some black screens and occasionally my Amiga was not starting at all. After some testing it turns out, that removing the A604n solves the problem.

What can we do about this ?

Cheers,

Lukas

• Sounds like a bad contact - please clean the connector on the Amiga-side with alcohol and a micro fibre cloth (both sides!). Then re-install the expansion, but don't push it on all the way; pull it back by 1mm, so a different part of the gold surface is used.

Also, please describe your whole setup: Are there any other expansions? What type of power supply are you using?

• I've already tried cleaning it, but that didn't change anything. I've been removing all other expansions when trying to find out what's causing the problem. In the end I have installed a different chip ram expansion, and then Amiga is working fine.

My other expansions are: a608mini fast ram, RBG2HDMI, IDEtoSD; I'm using a new Keelog power adapter

• I'm using a new Keelog power adapter

That is known-bad, as it's based on a MeanWell PSU chassis. Please see our PSU FAQ for technical details.

I have my doubts that the A604n is really defective, as there's practically no latch-up prone component on it. Still, it would be a good idea to get rid of that faulty PSU, otherwise you'll experience more defects. The Keelog PSU is sold with false advertising: Just because it has a connector that happens to fit the Amiga does NOT mean that it's suitable.

• so if it's a problem with the PSU then it should happend right from the begining, right?

No - the MeanWell PSUs are not suitable for power sinks on a long cable, but the Amiga is such a load. Regulation happens at the output of the PSU. not knowing that there is power drop and LC-components on the way to the power sink. Under circumstances probably out of control of any user, the regulation circuit in the MeanWell PSU can start to oscillate, and this may work fine for months, or it may start the second you switch on - you never know, as the parts were just not designed for what they are sold for.

If the seller of that PSU sends you answers like that, you know that he/she is not up to the task of designing a PSU. Again, MeanWell-based PSUs are dangerous to your precious retro gear. Send it back for a refund. You have been tricked into buying something that is not suitable for what it was advertised for.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.