ACA2000

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So... now that we have some '030 accelerator cards again and the '040 and '060 cards are...I assume in the pipe, with their component shortages mostly sorted... ? and the Indivision products are back on the shelf.... (ooh.. I should order an ECS v3 next week)

Is there time and space now for the ACA2000 ?

Or... Do I have to buy that silly ribbon cable disaster adapter from some third-world country, that 'sorta' fits in the floppy drive bay and adapts an ACA500+ to 'maybe', 'kinda', 'work' but not really, especially with Zorro II cards ? :)

I don't want to commit Amigacide, but without an ACA2000 the only path forward is a case full of janky adapters :D

• So... now that we have some '030 accelerator cards again and the '040 and '060 cards are...I assume in the pipe, with their component shortages mostly sorted... ? and the Indivision products are back on the shelf....

You're inferring too much. The 040/060 card's logic is mostly developed by Peter, and he's not (full time) back on the job - that's why it's called long-term sick leave. A few hours per week of "getting back in"-time doesn't allow him to work on such complex products. The sad thing is that indeed component shortage wouldn't bite here, as I have all parts in stock. It's just that I won't produce a design that isn't fully verified.

Is there time and space now for the ACA2000 ?

I won't promise anything, but I'm getting closer. With the ACA2000 being planned as "much simpler" than the ACA500plus, the development time will be much shorter than the almost-two-years that I have spent on the ACA500plus.

I don't want to commit Amigacide, but without an ACA2000 the only path forward is a case full of janky adapters

I really don't want to know what people are attempting. My plan is to NOT add the "cloaking device", so compatibility with A500 floppy-based games is not a goal for the ACA2000. I'm looking more "upwards" - you've already pointed out Zorro card compatibility. Buddha and X-Surf-100 will benefit big time, and I have more tricks I want to try.

• If I don't infer too much, who will ?

And besides, it gives iComp a time and place to set the record straight :)

Also, I had no idea that there was a Peter, or that he was on sick leave.

Hope he makes a strong recovery.

As for ACA2000:

Compatibility with A500 floppy games is not even a thought for me.
    I'm using WHDLoad on the A500 for the odd game, that's getting the job done.

But I guess I'm not a video game player, so my priorities may be different from the majority.

On the A2000 what I really want to use is AMOS, SAS/C, MATLAB, Final Writer, etc..
    Essentially a machine to play with the Amiga productivity software.
    Your 'plan' sounds great for my intended use case.

If you build it, I absolutely will buy one.

• I won't promise anything, but I'm getting closer. With the ACA2000 being planned as "much simpler" than the ACA500plus, the development time will be much shorter than the almost-two-years that I have spent on the ACA500plus.

Great... since volumes will likely be much lower than ACA500+, can we have a Developers Edition, where we pay double or triple the release versions projected cost, but do so to help offset the development cost, de-risking the project for the developer ?

Buddha and X-Surf-100 will benefit big time, and I have more tricks I want to try.

Developer edition would also mean the developer has access to a pool of external use cases for testing ideas before pushing updates to a larger base of users.

It's not a kickstarter or pre-selling, but it does help cover costs, frees up some capital, provides a base for testing ideas, enables incremental product improvement based on sales, instead of having to rely on the old "If you build it, hopefully they will come"

I'm sorta curious, how many others would be interested in helping to support development costs on the things they would like to see in your store ?

• Hello, I seen this post and thought I should speak up.

I would love to see an ACA2000 version. I have several a2000 I use all the time (* Server Up 670 days, 19:46:04) and plan on building a Floppie209 in the near future. Two of my a2000 currently have X-Surf-100, RR, and Buddha cards in them so that would be super sexy if the ACA2000 would work some magic with them.

I like the idea of a Dev Edition and would be happy for you to take my money!!

• If money was an issue, I would have really closed iComp in 2019.

I'm not exactly secretive about my source of money: Green energy. So if you want to do something good, buy a solar system for your house. There is only one rule: You can always fit one more panel. You'll save a lot of money and do something for the planet that (not only) my kids want to live on. In the long run, you'll have even more money to spend for retro hardware.

Retro computing is a hobby for all of us - and a hobby is supposed to be fun. Hardly anyone can be creative with too much pressure. The good thing is that I have no pressure to make money with retro hardware. In other words: I'm looking forward to starting that project, but want to get a few smaller things out of the way first, which I believe will benefit the market as a whole.

• Also, I had no idea that there was a Peter, or that he was on sick leave.

Hope he makes a strong recovery.

Well that would be me... I guess, unless Jens hides another Peter in his shop somewhere ;-)

I might be more known for my C64 stuff, maybe... If not, I programmed the firmware of the C64 reloaded MK2 (that menu thingy that appears on usb port serial so you can change settings) and of course many many things for the Turbo Chameleon 64. For Amiga I mostly did things "in the background", but had my contribution to many of the icomp "flickerfixers/scandoublers" or how you want to call those things, except the very first mk1 ones. The 1240/60 was the first time working on 680xx accelerators and now that got rudely interrupted.

I'll be back.

• There is only one rule: You can always fit one more panel. You'll save a lot of money and do something for the planet that (not only) my kids want to live on. In the long run, you'll have even more money to spend for retro hardware

Works the other way here in Canada.
    We get our money from extracting waste oil from the tar sands and sending it by pipe or rail to be refined and ultimately buried in the earths atmosphere. Or digging up uranium ore to keep the home fires burning. Send your kids, we'll take em seal hunting in the winter. :D

I'm not pressuring you... I'm talking to you...
    I'm telling you the things that 'pain me', the things that I'd be totally into putting my money into, and I'm asking others who have given you money before, the surest sign they might do so again, to voice if they'd be into those same things?
    It is grass roots early adoption.

Most LEAN businesses, even ones run like a hobby, would give their teeth for active early adopters.

It's not like I'm running a "go fund me" to hire a tire repair guy in Brussels to pay you a visit if the conversation doesn't go my way' :D

Have a great day Jens,

• I programmed the firmware of the C64 reloaded MK2 (that menu thingy that appears on usb port serial so you can change settings) ... For Amiga I mostly did things "in the background", but had my contribution to many of the icomp "flickerfixers/scandoublers" or how you want to call those things ... The 1240/60 was the first time working on 680xx accelerators and now that got rudely interrupted.

I'll be back.

Ah... So it's your sticky finger prints on my C64 Reloaded MK2 ? :D

I also have a 'bunch' of the Indivision ECS V2
    And will certainly buy an ACA1240 when they come on the market...
    I think the ACA1260 will be too "hard-core" for me...I just like my Amiga, I don't feel like selling a kidney for it... :D

Anyways, good to learn of you and the products you've touched.
    Hope you're on the mend and will make a speedy recovery.

Les,

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.