Jumpy mouse with Indivision ECS v3

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all,

I am still getting a jumpy mouse and the occasional random left mouse button click even when not touching the mouse (Only in Workbench 3.2.2.1 or in Defender Of The Crown, for example, is loading from WHDLoad) and was hoping you may have some tips?

I have an Indivision ECS V3, and have confirmed I was/am already using the 74HC157 multiplexer chip, which I have replaced anyway (just in case, with another 74HC157) on a Phoenix board Amiga 1000. I have tried a few different GND points for the GND cable, it is currently connected to the power metal casing. I have also tried the original tank mouse and a wireless mouse with new batteries.

I am using a PAL Kickstart 47.111 and Workbench 47.4, (OS3.2.2.2.1). The Phoenix board gives me a 1Mb ECS Agnus (8372A). I am using a Classic520 accelerator. Turning off the accelerator, Fast RAM, and IDE Controller, and then booting with Kick3.2.2 physical ROM and then from df0: to Advanced Amiga Analyzer v2.0 or SysInfo v 4.4 works, no jumpy mouse - however these screens are also not as busy, and my Workbench is also stable until I open a drawer with lots of icons/drawers (like the prefs drawer). Dopus screen is stable, it uses a clone on the Workbench screen which is PAL:HighRes.

I have tried every VGA mode that will work with my screen, and used CVT settings using the calculator at:

https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator

But the problem of the jumpy mouse occurs in every mode, 800x600x50Hz seems to be the least problematic, but still jumpy enough to be a problem. I have Darken set to 1.

I have also added aluminium shielding to my VGA data cable, and covered that in heat shrink to minimise interference and smearing (I still have a small an amount of smearing in case that helps troubleshooting).

Finally, I have put my A1000 tin shield back in place and put my plastic lid back on, but this has also not improved the jumpy mouse. The jumping gets worse when there are lots/busy windows onscreen and/or in games that use a mouse, like Defender of the crown (uses low-res NTSC).

While a totally different technology, RGB2HDMI does not have this problem, but I can’t use that as it will not pass thru to my RTG card, which I intend to install once a TerribleFire arrives hopefully next week.

Thanks for any help.:)

Craziazkowboi.

• If a "busy screen" makes a difference, this may not be due to lots of screen updates, but because of HD activity and CPU power usage.

The Phoenix board was developed by hobbyists back in the days, and lacks quite a few of the otherwise-often-used EMI filters, bulk caps and other goodies to make the board stable. The phoenix board never passed any CE or FCC testing, so the smallest interference may make the board glitch, which is then caught by Indivision ECS V3.

You should check your power supply for 5V drops, and all clocks for missing cycles. Before you jump to any conclusions, please test the Indivision ECS V3 unit in a real Commodore-made Amiga, so you can exclude an effect induced by a board that was not mentioned to be a compatible target in the first place.

Jens

• OK. I am happy to try again if I have not taken this correctly.

I have measured VCC from pin 14 of the 68000 CPU, it measured a steady 5.6V, even when starting up HippoPLayer with the spectrum Analyzer and opening some drawers to put load on the CPU.

I have then measured CLK from pin 15 of the 68000 CPU, it ran reliably at 7.09MHz, the pk-pk voltage was 4.04V, but no missing cycles over a 2 minute window, and again running HippoPlayer and seeing the mouse cursor jump around.

Finally, I have measured the E-Clk from pin 20 of the 68000 CPU, again no missing cycles or hiccups, and healthy Pk-Pk voltage of 5.76V, running at 709.2KHz, which I think is normal for a PAL Amiga?

Does any if this help, should I do more tests elsewhere?

I have recapped all the electrolytic capacitors on my Phoenix board, but I thought my power supply was looking good?

Thanks again!

• I have measured VCC from pin 14 of the 68000 CPU, it measured a steady 5.6V,

Switch off the machine IMMEDIATELY. This is beyond the 5.5V "absolute maximum rating" for many 5V parts. If any of your components has a Z-Diode for clamping, you are burning excessive electricity and putting your components at risk. That's not worth it.

Finally, I have measured the E-Clk from pin 20 of the 68000 CPU, again no missing cycles or hiccups, and healthy Pk-Pk voltage of 5.76V, running at 709.2KHz, which I think is normal for a PAL Amiga?

You don't look for missing cycles on a divided clock such as E. You always look for anomalies on the source side, the 28.37516MHz. However, if you are pushing 5.6V into a 5V oscillator, it is likely to misbehave. Solve your power supply problem first, then you will most likely see that many other problems are gone with it.

Jens