Lyra 3 vs PC KEY

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello.

With the pckey I am unable to register multiple key presses. For example, playing a game like Duke where you move forward with W and strafe left with A only the first key press will register.

Will Lyra 3 solve this?

• Yes, Lyra has always been tested against games, and it included the feature of multiple key presses at the same time from day one (product introduction in 2001, if I remember right). We have always advertised and kept this feature when doing the "next step".

A gamer keyboard with n-key rollover will of course help. Make sure to get a PS2 keyboard - these are much lower latency than USB, and Lyra3 won't with with USB-only keyboards anyway.

• Not sure which part your question applies to.

Amiga keyboards are not n-key-rollover. However, they are fully ghostkey-free on the qualifiers, and the code in the keybaord controller attempts to keep ghostkey-effects down to a minimum (I still have to understand that part of the code - not sure if you're aware that I have made a commented disassembly of the 6502 source last year).

In terms of hot-plugging, that should work fine with external Amiga keyboards, although they will send the power-up sequence again, which may confuse a few programs (does not confuse the OS). So I'd rate hot-plugging "not dangerous", but also "not recommended", as it's not specified.

• Hi.

I always refrain from hotplugging.

Anyway, let me restate my question:

If I used the lyra 3 and connected my Amiga keyboard to it (eg, Amiga Technologies A4000 type) then would I be able to play Duke3d and be able to move forward (W) and strafe left or right (A/D) at the same time?

Regards,

• If I used the lyra 3 and connected my Amiga keyboard to it (eg, Amiga Technologies A4000 type) then would I be able to play Duke3d and be able to move forward (W) and strafe left or right (A/D) at the same time?

Yes, that will work. Lyra3 has a pass-through mode for using an Amiga keyboard, which is activated by closing a solder-jumper. Yes, you'll need to make a small solder-bridge on the product.

• Last question(s):

. Do I need an adapter that converts DIN from Amiga KB to ps2 which is then connected to the lyra 1200 adapter?

. I have read that using Amiga KB is okay for the towered A1200. What about a towered Amiga 600 also?

• Do I need an adapter that converts DIN from Amiga KB to ps2 which is then connected to the lyra 1200 adapter?

Since you are going to use an A4000 keyboard, no adapter will be required - the A4000 uses a Mini-DIN connector already.

I have read that using Amiga KB is okay for the towered A1200. What about a towered Amiga 600 also?

Lyra3 does not work in an A600, as the keyboard controller has a different pinout. However, if you make the right connections to power, clock, data and reset (yes, 5 connections only), it'll also work, and it'll have the same positive properties discussed here.

• hello,

Received package today thanks.

• Regarding mini din. Actually , for whatever reason, the A4000 Amiga Technologies keyboard I have has the larger connector. So I will either need an adapter which is female 5 pin to male mini 6. Alternately, I will just solder something up!
    • Regarding amiga 600. This looks like it should be fairly simple then. Presumably only those 5 connections are needed because the others go to the keyboard ribbon connector on the main board which is now redundant.

Thanks.

• Regarding mini din. Actually , for whatever reason, the A4000 Amiga Technologies keyboard I have has the larger connector. So I will either need an adapter which is female 5 pin to male mini 6. Alternately, I will just solder something up!

You can use off-the-shelve components for that - either the same thing that was included with your A4000, or a DIN-to-mini-DIN adapter from the PC market.

• Okay, last question regarding the solder points.

• Since I want to use Amiga keyboards in all cases then I need to solder the pads that are right next to: icomp.de on the PCB?

I have read the WIKI and I am not interested in the other soldering points regarding power.

Just want confirmation.

Thanks.

• Hello jens. Presumbaly you cannot remove the keyboard controller from the a1200 motherboard, solder the 5 connections to the lyra 3 adapter and everything to work?

I ask because I have a bad kb controller. So I want to know if I can just make the connections to the empty kb controller pads directly and only use the lyra 3, but I do not have the knowledge, so I ask here.

• This will easily work for the keyboard, but you'll have to go for the "Bigbox" version of Lyra. Only this will just start and not attempt to establish communication with an already-existing keyboard controller first.

Note that this will only make the keyboard work, but it won't let you make a keyboard reset. For a simple workaround, you could use the jumper pin as a reset signal (connect via a diode, so it can only pull low). Given the right configuration (See F7 and F11 config of L3 documentation), you can toggle reset by pressing left-Amiga-Pause, and another press of that same combination to release the reset signal.

Given the "wrong" startup-setting of the pin (F11 config), you would even have a "secret startup" of the computer: It would be in reset permanently after power-up, and only start after pressing L-Amiga+Pause. Not that this is particularly safe, but obscure :-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.