Atari ST core

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

Yes, I have been using same hdf and Platinum SD-card 32 GB with cluster size of 16k.

Because it is older card, I just freshly formatted new Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB with cluster size of 16k.

Unfortunately ST-core behaves just like using Platinum-card.

My hdf-file for ST is 3 Gb split to 6 partitions, could that 3 Gb size cause problems?

Cheers,

Pasi

• Oh well, I just formatted 32 GB SD-card with cluster size 64k, and guess what? I'm able to use that 3 GB hdf-file without problems. Thanks Alastair, now I can run ST-core again and writing to hdf works too :)

Cheers,

Pasi

• One different note: we don't seem to have threads of Commodore Pet -core and Acorn Archimedes -core. Haven't been able to get running both of those, only black screen, although OSD of Pet-core works. Could someone create those threads? :)

• Hi,

Yes, I have been using same hdf and Platinum SD-card 32 GB with cluster size of 16k.

Because it is older card, I just freshly formatted new Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB with cluster size of 16k.

Unfortunately ST-core behaves just like using Platinum-card.

My hdf-file for ST is 3 Gb split to 6 partitions, could that 3 Gb size cause problems?

Thanks, that's really helpful - I'll do some testing myself with smaller clusters and see what happens. (In short, you can't easily "rewind" a file on a FAT filesystem - you can follow cluster chains forwards but not backwards - so if you read the last byte of a file and then a byte from the previous cluster you have to start from the beginning of the file and follow the entire cluster chain through the file - which is slow. I currently use a "bookmarks" system to speed this up (a more traditional full index won't fit in the BRAM) - but I can increase the number of bookmarks and tweak the algorithm.

I'm currently closing a business but in the next week or two I should have more time to devote to tidying up the cores and their threads.

• Initializing hard disk was slower than on older ST-cores. But it did find all 6 partitions from my hdf C,D,E,F,G,H.

Accessing directories of hdf-file now time out frequently.

Could you try the attached core, and let me know if it solves this issue, please?

(I found a bug which I'd introduced into the bookmark code, which basically disabled the bookmarks. There's still a weird memory corruption / ROM loading issue which only appears to affect V2 hardware - still investigating that...)

• Could you try the attached core, and let me know if it solves this issue, please?

(I found a bug which I'd introduced into the bookmark code, which basically disabled the bookmarks. There's still a weird memory corruption / ROM loading issue which only appears to affect V2 hardware - still investigating that...)

Good work, it indeed solved issue, many thanks :) I tried with my older SD-card, which has 16k cluster size. There was no more problems loading directories, and saving worked as in earlier core "20230328".

Tested with Turbo Chameleon v1 standalone.

• Hello everyone, great job here 👍

I have some questions about TC64v1 and MiSTery core.

1. How can I configure image output for VGA and 60Hz? (if no 50Hz VGA monitor is available)

2. The disk loading times take a long time for me, is it normal? (the Real 1040ST loads the disks faster)

3. Have a real Ultrasatan with SD card with games and demos on it. How can I make an image out of it and use it with MiSTery?

(Grown up with Amiga8), I have no idea about Atari ST :saint:)

Best regards :*

• 1. How can I configure image output for VGA and 60Hz? (if no 50Hz VGA monitor is available)

Only by selecting a host mode that is 60Hz "naturally". Frame rate conversion is not possible with this hardware.

For the other questions, someone else needs to step in.

Jens

• Thanks for the reply Jens 8)

I asked about it because many cores have this option. A solution would also be a scart- RGB cable for a CRT monitor or TV.

Then 50Hz would also be possible?

Changing disks in "Floppy A" will not work. But I can change the floppy disk if I use the "Floppy B". Is it a bug?

See attachment for testing. The loading times of the floppy disks are long.

Have a nice day 👍

• The Atari ST can run at PAL or NTSC refresh rates, but unlike the Amiga the default mode isn't set by hardware but by ROM version - so if you use a US version of TOS then (when set to Colour mode) the emulated ST should start up in a 60Hz mode. (In Mono mode you get the same high-resolution monochrome screenmode whichever ROM version you use.)

The problem with using an RGB to SCART cable with a CRT is the need to ensure that a VGA-scanrate signal never goes down the cable, since it's possible to damage CRTs by feeding them unexpected scanrates. That said, an RGB to SCART cable should already work when the MiSTery core's scandoubler is disabled (and when the core's set to Colour mode, of course) - but it's safest to use it with an LCD TV.

Thanks for spotting the floppy disk diskchange bug - I'll fix that very soon.

• Hello :)

I created a Harddrive image with two partitions (2x512MB). This hd image works very well on the MiST FPGA and also on the TC64. The same settings are in the Mistery- core on both devices (STE, 4MB, TOS 1.62). The Fantastic STe Demo "Sea of Color by Dead Hackers Society" works very well on the MiST Mistery core. On the TC64 Mistery it gets stuck in the middle of the demo with four bombs - why? Best regards, Paul

https://youtu.be/1hvFiv2hpYE?t=3

Unfortunately I can't attach my hd image here, it's too big..:/

• Hello :)

I created a Harddrive image with two partitions (2x512MB). This hd image works very well on the MiST FPGA and also on the TC64. The same settings are in the Mistery- core on both devices (STE, 4MB, TOS 1.62). The Fantastic STe Demo "Sea of Color by Dead Hackers Society" works very well on the MiST Mistery core. On the TC64 Mistery it gets stuck in the middle of the demo with four bombs - why? Best regards, Paul

Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it. It might be related to disk performance since I don't have space in the supporting firmware to build a full hardfile index, so seeks can be somewhat slower than on MiST or a real hard disk.

Does the audio work for you? I just tried the demo here, and I don't get music, and after the first couple of scenes the video's screwed up too.

• Thanks for the answer. Many programs that I have copied to the image run well and the sound is there. Only some games and large demos cause problems. With some games you can switch to the disk version, but not always with the demos. I'm actually happy, and I really appreciate the work here, thank you very much 👍

• Could you try the attached core, and let me know if it solves this issue, please?

I downloaded this core for my TC64V2. And now I can write to images without them going corrupt. However, I no longer see an option to save the profile to the config file? I think I had this option on the older cores from the retro ramblings page

• I downloaded this core for my TC64V2. And now I can write to images without them going corrupt. However, I no longer see an option to save the profile to the config file? I think I had this option on the older cores from the retro ramblings page

Yes, it's changed since the first version of the MiSTery core: I've added more standardised support for loading and saving configs to the framework, and made its behaviour consistent between cores. For those cores which support config files, the relevant menu can be found by opening the OSD then pressing cursor right. Hope that helps.

• Yes, it's changed since the first version of the MiSTery core: I've added more standardised support for loading and saving configs to the framework, and made its behaviour consistent between cores. For those cores which support config files, the relevant menu can be found by opening the OSD then pressing cursor right. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I had no clue. Will try cursor right then. Thanks for your great work