[Indivision MK3] VSync and 100hz monitor..

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I tried the 1280x1024 VSync+autores preset and it works very smooth.

Unfortunately its immpossible to scale the image.

I noticed a 800x600 100hz preset.

Again unfortunately with this resolutinon I can't scale image without distortions.

I will be making some tests with 144hz monitor,

is it possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

I did some calculation in the VGA calculator, and the Indivision pixel clock was a bit not enough..

I wanted to ask - is it possible to maybe fine tune that settings so it is possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

Is it a matter of firmware or the hardware capabilities?

I didn't like the 50hz result - my eyes were hurting :)

• I tried the 1280x1024 VSync+autores preset and it works very smooth.

Unfortunately its immpossible to scale the image.

That's expected, as the "auto resolution" modes use a whole-number multiple of the output pixel clock.

is it possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

No, that's beyond Indiviaion AGA MK3's capabilities, because 100Hz with 1280x1024 would require a pixel clock of over 190MHz. Hoever, the DAC and HDMI encoder can "only" run up to 165MHz. The fastest vertical output cou can get at 1280x1024 is 85Hz (pixel clock of 157.5MHz).

I wanted to ask - is it possible to maybe fine tune that settings so it is possible to get 1280x1024 in 100hz?

Is it a matter of firmware or the hardware capabilities?

It's a genuine chip limitation.

I didn't like the 50hz result - my eyes were hurting :)

Given the high vertical frequencies you're playing with, it appears you're using a CRT. If so, you might want to try the 1280x1024@85Hz, but use double buffering instead of V-Sync. There will be no tearing due to double-buffering, and the added lag will be minimal due to the high output vertical refresh rate.

• Hello,

I made some tests with 144 hz monitor. I tried the Pre 800x600 @100 VSync preset + double duffer and

it works great and smooth. But it didn't work with Hires-Laced..

I tried to make a preset that would run at Hires Laced only (I placed it above the previous) but Indivision didn't use that.

So is there any trick to have that Pre 800x600 @100 VSync and be able to use Hires Laced?

Thank You in advance..

edit:

- I turned off the VSync option - so the Hires Laced now is displayed - I think this is the golden-middle,

• Please upload the config in question, then Timm can have a look at that on Monday when he's back in the office. If I remember right, the config tool is treating the interlace modes of a certain standard equal to the non-interlace modes, so you may need to find different selection criteria.

If you had the MK2/MK2cr version before, this was different: The interlace modes were treated like separate screen modes, but this caused the monitor to drop out for a short time when the new mode settings were automatically applied. This was especially annoying if you drag a non-laced screen down, and an interlaced screen is visible in the background: The whole screen will then interlace, and the older MK2/MK2cr flicker fixers will apply a new output mode, possibly causing the monitor to show a black screen for several seconds until it has re-synced.

• Please upload the config in question, then Timm can have a look at that on Monday when he's back in the office. If I remember right, the config tool is treating the interlace modes of a certain standard equal to the non-interlace modes, so you may need to find different selection criteria.

If you had the MK2/MK2cr version before, this was different: The interlace modes were treated like separate screen modes, but this caused the monitor to drop out for a short time when the new mode settings were automatically applied. This was especially annoying if you drag a non-laced screen down, and an interlaced screen is visible in the background: The whole screen will then interlace, and the older MK2/MK2cr flicker fixers will apply a new output mode, possibly causing the monitor to show a black screen for several seconds until it has re-synced.

Hi again,

I wanted to test that issue on different 144hz monitor. This time I used HP 22" 144hz.

I am not uploading the config because this config exists in the default settings (reset to defaults).

The preset name is "Pre 800x600 PAL", but for the VGA mode I selected this preset: "Pre 800x600 @100 VSync" (double buffer off)

So the result is that when HiresLaced mode is present the monitor is going black.

Also in the standard noninterlaced modes I noticed the screen moves like up/down every half second.

Anyway, when I turn off the VSync - everything is OK. All modes are visible. Ofcourse there is a tearing effect. So I am using Double Buffer option

to get rid of that. The one disadvantage of this solution is - in interlaced mode when the screen is moving fast (like in the SlamTile multiball mode) the screen is tearing very badly.

• Anyway, when I turn off the VSync - everything is OK.

VSync cannot work with 100Hz output - you need to select an output mode that is *very* close to the Amiga VSync frequency. If oyu are trying to VSync 100Hz with the 50Hz of the Amiga, the output will be 50Hz as well, and the frames that are sent to the monitor are using the high pixel clock/Hsync rate that you would need for 100Hz. In other words: It totally breaks any timing. This cannot work.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.