ACA1211 => A1200 => PCMIA / CF problem!

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello, I have a problem with my ACA1211 card. As soon as I install my PCMIA card the Amiga 1200 gives an error message and no longer works. I removed the ACA1211 card from my Amiga 1200 and the PCMIA card works!

So conclusion there is a problem with the ACA1211 card.

Do you have a solution to solve the problem, because in your shop you mark that it is compatible with the PCMIA port?

Thank you in advance for your answer. Yours truly. :)

• There's known problems with certain PCMCIA cards, yes. If the PCMCIA card fully complies with the standard and correctly responds to the "move to IO area only" command, everything will work. Unfortunately, especially CF cards in CF->PCMCIA adapters don't do that. The most desirable thing (network over PCMCIA) does work.

• Hi Jens,

I'm also having problems getting my ACA1211 to play nice with PCMCIA - both a CF card and a 3COM 3c589 NIC. Configuration for ACA1211 is set with 'Keep PCMCIA' option selected in acatool.

First issue I experience is that doing a cold boot with either PCMCIA card installed, will cause the A1200 to boot into 3.1.4 floppy load screen instead of booting from my IDE-drive. If I load ATK in this state, ACA1211 memory is detected.

If I do a warm boot with either PCMCIA installed, the A1200 boots into Workbench from my IDE-drive and 3.2 in mapROM. If I load ATK in this state, ACA1211 memory is detected.

Collectively for both issues is that the Exec->MemList reports 8MB memory available from 0x200000 to 0x9FFFFF, but this overlaps the PCMCIA area from 0x600000 to 0x9FFFFF. The result is Guru mediation or crashes/freeze when e.g. unpacking a LHA-file from CF card to RAM: or when using AWeb to browse aminet.net.

Is there any possible way of getting ACA1211 to only autoconfig memory from 0x200000 to 0x5FFFFF, when 'Keep PCMCIA' is selected in acatool? I would much rather have less RAM to play with when I use PCMCIA, than not being able to use PCMCIA at all.

Best regards,

Jacob

• Collectively for both issues is that the Exec->MemList reports 8MB memory available from 0x200000 to 0x9FFFFF, but this overlaps the PCMCIA area from 0x600000 to 0x9FFFFF. The result is Guru mediation or crashes/freeze when e.g. unpacking a LHA-file from CF card to RAM: or when using AWeb to browse aminet.net.

The 3Com 3c589 does not occupy that space, so you should not experience any Guru. Could it be that you're trying with an external CF card?

Is there any possible way of getting ACA1211 to only autoconfig memory from 0x200000 to 0x5FFFFF, when 'Keep PCMCIA' is selected in acatool? I would much rather have less RAM to play with when I use PCMCIA, than not being able to use PCMCIA at all.

The current version can't do this, but I'm thinking of making this a "jumper" option: If the jumper is set to de-brick, I could try to reduce to 4M as well. Not sure if this will fit the CPLD.

• Could it be that you're trying with an external CF card?

I must admit, I initially only tested with a PCMCIA CF card reader, but I've now tested with the PCMCIA NIC as well. The complete model I'm using is 3Com Megahertz 10 Mbps LAN PC Card 3CCE589ET. If I test a custom memory range in ATK from e.g. 0x00600000 to 0x0060FFFF it report RAM errors, when the NIC is installed. I've also tried same test for other addresses in the range 0x00600000 to 0x9FFFFF, but all tests unfortunately fails, when NIC is installed. If NIC is not installed the memory test is running without any problems.

If the jumper is set to de-brick, I could try to reduce to 4M as well.

That would be an awesome solution! Cross my fingers that it will work :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.