AGA Indivision Mk3 issues

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Good afternoon, I hope the weather's treating the team well in Germany.

My Indivision AGA Mk 3 arrived promptly and well packed this week, so huge thank you for that.

Unfortunately I've had some significant issues getting it to operate stably. It works beautifully for a couple of minutes after a cold start, exactly as the instructions envision, then rapidly descends into glitches and ultimately crashes. Sometimes those crashes are gurus but most of the time it's just a wall of corrupt graphics and a freeze. If it helps, so far I've tried:

• The 1.9 rescue disk which (if I start from a cold boot) gives me a picture and runs long enough to reflash the firmware happily.
    • Various screenmodes/resolutions, prioritising low resolutions to see whether a reduced load on the CPLD makes a difference to the glitching/crashing (sadly it does not).
    • Unhooking the CIA hat (just to confirm whatever the issue is is isolated to the main board).
    • Removing all non-stock equipment (accelerator cards, Gotek etc.) to no avail.

Extra info if helpful:

• Once the Indivision is removed the system operates totally normally.
    • The crashing definitely isn't just the Indivision board/HDMI output, it's the whole machine - as I say it's often throwing actual guru errors on screen that don't recover regardless of the output type.
    • A straight reset (hard or soft) doesn't help once glitches/crashes have begun to occur. It's only when the whole system has been off for a period of time (>5 mins) that the Indivision functions normally again for a few minutes.
    • Possibly related to that, the board seems to get very hot indeed even over that short period. I can't be sure whether it's the CPLD that's the hotspot or not as it's all quite hot.
    • I've been using an original beige C= PSU (I have another aftermarket PSU but haven't had cause to use it given it doesn't seem to be a lack of amperage issue).

How would you like to proceed? I know this is within the 14 day period for withdrawal/return but I'm very much a fan of the neatness/size of your solution so I'm keen to explore whatever options you would suggest.

Regards,

Greg

• If your computer "gurus", we need to look into the CPU/RAM subsystem and power supply. What's the exact PSU type you're using, and what's the accelerator? Also, what other power-using expansions do you have, and what mass-storage solution do you use?

Please note that the rescue disk is something you should only use as a "last resort". For all other things, including the obligatory firmware upgrade that you should run on any new unit, you use the latest config tool.

• If your computer "gurus", we need to look into the CPU/RAM subsystem and power supply. What's the exact PSU type you're using, and what's the accelerator? Also, what other power-using expansions do you have, and what mass-storage solution do you use?

Please note that the rescue disk is something you should only use as a "last resort". For all other things, including the obligatory firmware upgrade that you should run on any new unit, you use the latest config tool.

Thanks Jens,

The PSU is an original C= 391029-03. I have a modern aftermarket PSU as well, but specifically chose to start with the NOS.

As I set out above, these issues remain regardless of whether there is an accelerator card in the system or not: with the stock EC020 it cold boots happily enough (i.e. after being off for some time), runs for a bit (< 5 minutes) and then begins to experience issues (graphical glitches, then crashing). In case it makes a difference, this 1200 is recapped.

The first thing I did when I booted the card up is check it was upgraded to 1.9 (although I expect that had already been done in factory?) I only went to the rescue disk, as you say, once I got into all of these issues.

Regards,

Greg

• The PSU is an original C= 391029-03.

There are multiple chassis used under that part number. Also, since that's a rather old unit, has it been re-capped as well?

In case it makes a difference, this 1200 is recapped.

That indeed makes a difference - what type of caps have been used? Wouldn't be the first time that re-capping has been made with the wrong type, making things worse than before.

If it works for a few minutes and then gurus, there's something not OK "on the other side of the chipset", where CPU and RAM are located. There is no direct connection to that part of the Amiga from where the Indivision is connected. So the best guess I have is that when loaded, ripple on your PSU is rising, ultimately consusing the CPU enough to crash. A Guru is certainly nothing that a passive device like Lisa can cause.

BTW, heat is not a problem. The FPGA simulation and timing constraint includes a temperature of up to 80 degrees Celsius, so well above the temp you're comfortable to keep your finger on the chip.

• There are multiple chassis used under that part number. Also, since that's a rather old unit, has it been re-capped as well?

That indeed makes a difference - what type of caps have been used? Wouldn't be the first time that re-capping has been made with the wrong type, making things worse than before.

If it works for a few minutes and then gurus, there's something not OK "on the other side of the chipset", where CPU and RAM are located. There is no direct connection to that part of the Amiga from where the Indivision is connected. So the best guess I have is that when loaded, ripple on your PSU is rising, ultimately consusing the CPU enough to crash. A Guru is certainly nothing that a passive device like Lisa can cause.

PSU isn't recapped, no. Modern (high current, low ripple) PSU offered the same result.

Recaps all appear to be Nichicon, and done by our mutual friend Raj at Analogic so I trust him well enough.

I had thought that because the Indivision can be flashed and configs stashed in NVRAM from a live system that there must be some limited activity on the bus and that perhaps that was what was acting up - but I think what you're saying is that that isn't possible?

It's a pity really, because I think (if we're confident it's entirely on "the other side") that this may just point to a straight return :(

Greg

• If you're willing to give this a bit more time, can you post a picture of the guru? The number and especially mem address where it's failing may hint at what's wrong. GFX corruption may also tell us what might go wrong. Maybe there's a pattern visible.

• Sure, but it seems to be a matter of luck whether it crashes out to a Guru vs a straight freeze or a black/glitched screen.

Let me collect some pictures this evening over testing.

Greg

• May I intervene here for a moment?

I had the same gurus (8000 0004) when I installed the AGA MK3. I used the original PSU, when I bought the CA-PSU from Jens I haven't had a single guru since. Hopefully they will be back in the shop soon.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• Really helpful data, thanks Phil.

Jens - I don't suppose there's an ETA on those? If it's long enough out (not your fault in the slightest if so) I might still have to return and revisit later...

Greg

• i have recapped several commodore psu's. Several of them had leaky caps. The so called modern replacement psu's (meanwell and so on) have high ripple and i would not recommend any of them. So two options: either recap original psu or get ca-psu from jens.

• If they're on the horizon I'd prefer to go for a CA-PSU from Jens.

turrican9 I'm not opposed to recapping my PSU myself in theory, though I tend to avoid anything exposed to the mains supply if I can just as a general rule of thumb. Alternatively do let me know if you're aware of any suppliers who recap PSUs (plenty do boards, few seem to do power supplies).

Greg

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.