ACA500+ Problems

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I had my Amiga 500+ packed away with my ACA500+ during a move a year ago and never got it back out until today. I am having difficulty getting a stable system and even have trouble getting it to boot with the ACA installed. I can boot and run the system fine without the card installed. I also have an Indivision ECS v2 installed which works great. I also have a trapdoor 1MB expansion with clock and an internal Gotek installed. I have 3.1.4 installed from before the move and have trouble getting the system to attempt to boot. After several CTRL-A-A reboots, I can get it to boot into Amiga OS 3.1.4 and use it for a short time (10 seconds to 5 minutes) before it crashes and blanks out the screen. I figured there might be a problem with the installation, so I attempted to install 3.1 from the F7 option, but this starts to unpack then crashes and sometimes shows an error EXC4 on a green screen (see attachment) and shows a E0 code on the DisMo. Please let me know what else to try or let me know if I need to send it in for repair. Thanks.

• This may be a simple power supply problem (what PSU are you using?).

Another possibility is that the "resistors of shame" have tripped, because the unit was connected the wrong way round at some point (I guess it's the "big DisMo" version?). If so, then exchanging the two 22R "resistors of shame" will do the trick.

• I have two power supplies for the Amiga and have tried both with similar results. One is the original power supply casing that came with the unit, but where I replaced the internals with a MeanWell PT-65B supply board. The other is a a re-purposed Advanced Power Solutions APS61ES-30 that had the power connector changed to the Amiga connector that I bought around 2 years ago. The ACA is the newer version with the big DisMo display. I see the two resistors you mentioned they both show to be 22 ohms when tested with my meter. Here are some photos of what I have. Any suggestions? If you think the power supply is the problem, do you suggest any tests to perform on them or a replacement power supply to try? Thanks.

• One is the original power supply casing that came with the unit, but where I replaced the internals with a MeanWell PT-65B supply board.

OK, that's known-bad: Voltage drop on the DC cable is not accounted for, so the Amiga is under-supplied. Same goes for the re-purposed unit: It may be good for 5V at the source, but not at the destination, as it is not aware of the voltage drop on the cable and in the input filter of the A500. Read all about PSUs in our FAQ.

I cannot exclude the possibility of one of the PSUs having destroyed a CPLD with an unlucky chain of events: Lower voltage reduces the regulation margin of the 3.3V regulator, ultimately causing oscillation, which leads to permanent defects in one of the CPLDs or the CPU. If you send the unit back, please read this article.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.