Weird look of Kickstart 1.3 splashscreen when "Map ROM" option is on on ACA500Plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I use ACA500Plus together with ACA1221lc. When I set the config to use either the Kickstart 1.3 from ACA500Plus or the one existing on my Amiga's MOBO and have the "Map ROM" option set to "on", I get a weirdly looking splashscreen when I boot the computer without HDD or floppy inserted (some letters are gibberish and part of the AMIGA text is light grey). It doesn't happen when I set "Map ROM" to "off". Why is it so? Does it indicate a problem?

Please see the picture attached.

• That's a known problem of Kick1.3: This happens with every accelerator beyond a certain speed. It does not affect functionality.

P.S: cool Trinitron CRT :-)

• Do you know why the "Map ROM" option value affects it though?

Different speeds: When MapROM is off, code runs a lot slower from a 7MHz ROM chip. When active, code runs from RAM, which is as fast as the CPU can go.

And just in case you wonder - unrelated to the original topic: In order to make it "look like ROM", this RAM is write-protected when MapROM is active.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.