ACA500+ Failure to boot on ~70% of attempts.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello Jens and Team. Hope you are all safe and well.

I have had an ACA500+ for nearly two weeks and it worked great on the first day, with absolutely no problems. From the second day though, it has failed to boot into the boot CF, intermittently. I have two A500s, one a Rev 5 and the other an 8.1a, both work rock solid without the ACA. I have so far cleaned both accelerator ports with both IPA and a pencil eraser. I have tried two CF cards in all possible combinatioins of positions, with the CFAux in or out, the failure still occurs. I have tried different versions of WB (3.1, 3.1.4, and 3.1.4.1 also, all combinations with 4 different Roms... the ACA 3.1, the Hyperion 3.1.4 file as 'user rom' in 512 position 3, and both a 3.1 and a 3.1.4 chip rom in the 8.1a motherboard. If I wiggle the ACA at boot, it has absolutely no effect, so the connections are rock solid. Oh yes, I have tried two Commodore power supplies, both have been recapped by me, as has the 8.1a and part of the Rev 5... one PSU is 4.3A linear and the other a 4.5A switchmode. Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks.

P.S. a link to a vid of the problem. https://youtu.be/3Icbt9z1rgg

• Just some extra info that I forgot to add, above.

The dismo cycles thru to FE and the main menu appears every time.

My main PSU (the linear) has a solid output of 4.96Vdc.

It appears that the problem may be temperature related, as, if I leave the ACA in the main menu for say 3-4 minutes from cold, then press #1, there is never a problem.

OK, I fed it some 'freeze' and it took ~10 mins to come good after being left on in the main menu. I've run out of freeze, so no chance finding which component is the culprit.

Thanks,

Daryl.

• This looks like you have set the maximum frequency fairly high. Please go to the global settings menu and reduce the max frequency to 21MHz. Note that even if you start with only 14MHz, it will always switch to max. frequency while it's unpacking the Kickstart files in order to shorten wait-times. To please make sure to set that to the guaranteed speed before you're attempting to overclock.

• Jens,

You are absolutely 100% correct!!

I was running at 42Mhz and now I can't get it to fail at the guaranteed 21Mhz, which is where it will stay.

Maybe one day, I will read the instructions and actually do as they say!

Your help on a weekend is Greatly Appreciated.

There is only one more question I have... How close to the ACA1234/40 release, are we? My next item on the lust list.

Many , Many Thanks,

Daryl.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.