Flashing the firmware

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

So I installed the v2 in my Amiga 500.

I want to update the firmware, to address some issues.

But I've no idea how and the Readme doesn't make sense to me.

I can boot from the floppy. But then what?

What do I have to type in??

How can I check what version is installed?

I also tried to first start workbench and then start the disk, but then it gives me a 'software error: Task held Finish all disk activity, select cancel to reset/debug'

The computer then just hangs after hitting reset and shows GURU ERROR.

Any help would be very much appreciated,

many thanks, Koen

• I've read the doc multiple times.

I've copied the rescue disk to my gotek and started it as bootdisk. So that should update the firmware automatically then.

About the drop-down menu, when is that showing?

Is that coming from which disk? There're 3 files. The third one, doesn't contain an adf.

So, how to load that one then?

Many thanks , Job

• About the drop-down menu, when is that showing?

All Amiga programs with standard GUI open the drop-down menus if you press and hold the right mouse button. You then hover over the menu item - you select a menu item if you release the right mouse button over that item.

Is that coming from which disk?

Not a special disk - the config tool.

• I ment by 'when is that showing' not the procedure of right clicking, hovering etc ofcourse 😄

The config tool needs to be written to a disk and then being loaded into wb? I just don't get it.

• I've checked everything again. I work on a A500 1.3 kickstart.

I can boot the rescue disk. With the other bootable file, it boots but I get nothing. Just a prompt and an all rights reserved.

The third file is just a lha and when uncompressed shows a number of files. I probably can read them on an Amiga, but I have no clue how, as the A500 hasn't got an hd.

**edit** Like I started the thread, I think the indivision is flashed allright with the rescue disk. That should have given it its most updated firmware.

Can not check it really, but it seems it's suceeds. Now I just need a way to start the graphical configtool, so I can make some choices about screen alining.

I've started wb, 'inserted' the 'bootable' disk. It says IndivisionECSv2 on the wb, I can open it and see two options; A program i can start, or the readme file. I choose the program. It then gives me an error. I've attached a screenshot.

Let me know what you think, I appreciate the effort!

• Well... the screen is off-center. I would like to reposition the screen.

Please read: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_ECS_V2/doc

"requirements" says that the GUI tool will only work with Kickstart 2.0 or higher. Only the commandline tool will also work with V1.3.

The easiest way to give your A500 a higher Kickstart is to attach an ACA500plus - that comes with all higher Kickstart versions pre-licensed, and it also gives you mass-storage, lots of memory, acceleration and an Action Replay 3 freezer. Plus a lot more that is "too much to list" here.

• Many problems can be solved if you read the manual, not only on this topic but in this forum in general.

I already read the manual before I buy anything, I have already read a lot of manuals here.

I can agree with what Jens says about the ACA500+, it's a new world that opens up for you.

A1200 Rev2B OS 3.2| SanDisk CF64GB | Blizzard 1230 IV 64MB FPU 68882/50 | Indivision AGA MK3 | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A500 Rev6A OS 3.2| SanDisk CF16GB | ACA500+ V2 / Blizzard 1230 IV 32MB | Indivision ECS V3 | ACE2b | CA-PSU | Eizo S1933 | Bose Companion 2 series III

A1200 Rev2B OS3.2.2 | Black Edition | SanDisk MSD32GB | PistormLite32 | Indivision AGA MK3 | RTG Picaso96 1280x1024| CA-PSU | Eizo S1933

iAmiga 27" | OS 3.2 FS-UAE | SDD 1 TB | RTG Picaso96 2560x1440

• There are always things to improve on an A500/A1200. For me it's a lot of trial and error and it remains a challenge. The best for an A500 is an ACA500Plus and you get a lot in return. Read always Wiki.iComp and update everything.

A1200 GHOST Rev2B RECAP TSB 2020 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 / Blizzard 1230 IV

A1200 CD32 Rev1D.4 RECAP TSB 2019 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 / ACA1234-50
    A1200 BLACK Rev2B RECAP TSB 2018 / CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK3 /
    Blizzard 1230 IV

A1200 TRANSLUCENT Rev1D.4 RECAP TSB 2018 /
    CA-PSU / Indivision AGA MK2CR / ACA1233-55 LE
    A500 BLACK Rev6A / CA-PSU / ACE2 / Indivision ECS V1-V2 / ACA500Plus V1-V2 / ACA1221 Rev1.3 / ACA1233n-55

C64R MK1-MK2 TRANSPARENT 2015 DM / iComp 12V 2.0A / TC64 V1

Edited once, last by JohanSSID ().

• I can vouch for the ACA 500 Plus. It's the best upgrade you can do for your Amiga 500/500 Plus. In fact, I have a hard time finding anything negative about the ACA 500 Plus. It has along list of impressive features.

• Thanks for getting back at me.

I did read the manual multiple times and also the requirements section. Just couldn't make it out, when I read it now it makes perfectly sense.

So problem is solved. (Soon 😉)

As it happens, I've bought the aca500+ from you (Jens) not long ago, with the whole chabang: Xsurf, aca1221lc.

So that shouldn't be a problem.

I will 🔥 it up!

Many thanks all, for recommendations as well!

I will let you know how it went.

• However, the image is still not centered.

You might want to use the tool "borderblank" (Aminet) and re-try the "auto" setting of your monitor. Some monitors attempt to display the whole overscan area of the Amiga, resulting in a seemingly-offset picture.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.